Sports Medicine Insurance Information and Medical Billing Policies
Sports Medicine Insurance Information
If an insurance form is incomplete or not submitted, payment for medical bills will be the student-athlete/family's responsibility. In addition, to help expedite care, the Department of Sports Medicine requires a photocopy of additional health-related insurance cards (prescription drug cards, dental, vision).
In the event that a student-athlete receives medical care while at DePaul, at times medical bills will be sent to the home address of the student-athlete; however, the majority of medical bills are sent to the Department of Sports Medicine. It is the responsibility of the policyholder that medical claims be submitted to the primary insurance company for processing. DePaul acts as a secondary insurance provider for student-athletes. Claims or the portions of claims to be paid by DePaul cannot be processed until an Explanation of Benefits statement or a Denial is received from the policyholder or the insurance company stating the amount covered by the primary insurance company. In addition, it is the policyholder's responsibility to obtain pre-authorization for services to be provided out of the health insurance network.
Medical Billing Policies/Insurance Information
2. Staff members of the Department of Sports Medicine will act as insurance coordinators for student-athletes. This staff will be limited to a maximum of three people per year.
3. DePaul University uses Cigna as our secondary insurance carrier for student-athletes who do not have primary insurance, and for medical expenses not covered by a student's primary insurance carrier.
4. Documentation of all medical services, payment of bills, and submissions to the DePaul insurance carrier shall be maintained and recorded in the student-athlete's secured medical file.
5. The procedure for submission and payment of medical bills is as follows:
6. DePaul University is not responsible for any missed or non-canceled appointments that incur cancellation fees.
7. Parents are responsible for keeping primary insurance updated of student athletes' full-time student status. If this is not updated and current, primary coverage can be lost and insurance claims can be denied.
- MEN'S SPORTS
- WOMEN'S SPORTS
- Ticket Office
- BUY TICKETS NOW
- Student Ticket Information
- Student Bus Schedule
- Varsity Sports Tickets
- Seating Charts
- Athletics Department
- Academic Advising
- Athletics Development
- Athletics Director
- Blue Crew
- Corporate Sponsorships
- General Releases
- Spirit Squads
- Sports Medicine
- Staff Directory