Jan. 2, 2018
CHICAGO - Four players scored in double figures Tuesday night, but visiting Georgetown took advantage at the free throw line in a 90-81 decision at Wintrust Arena. The Hoyas went 31-of-37 from the line outscoring DePaul by 17 points at the charity stripe.
Max Strus led the Blue Demons with 19 points, five rebounds and four assists while Tre'Darius McCallum and Marin Maric added 18 each and Brandon Cyrus finished with 14 points.
DePaul (7-8, 0-3 BIG EAST) jumped out quickly to a 7-2 lead following a baseline dunk by Cyrus. The Hoyas answered with a 7-0 run of their own over the next 1:12 to put them ahead at the first media time out.
A three-pointer by Maric knotted the score at 11-11 before eight straight point by the visitors made the score, 19-11, with just over 13 minutes left in the first half.
Georgetown (11-3, 1-2 BIG EAST) led by as many as 11 before DePaul cut the deficit to just two on back-to-back threes by Cyrus. His second trifecta with 5:20 left made the score 33-31 before the Hoyas pushed their lead back to nine at 46-37 at halftime.
Midway through the second half, a three-pointer by McCallum off a beautiful baseline pass from Eli Cain pulled DePaul with within four points. Two minutes later, Maric's dunk made the score 61-60 before Georgetown reeled off 11 straight points to take control of the game for good. The Blue Demons would get no closer than five points in the final minute before the buzzer sounded with a 90-81 final.
Cain totaled a career-high 10 assists to go along with eight points while McCallum added a team-high seven rebounds and four steals.
Georgetown's inside duo of Jessie Govan and Marcus Derrickson combined for 49 points and 19 rebounds with Govan totaling 25 points and 10 rebounds while Derrickson finished with 24 points and seven boards.
The Blue Demons go on the road on Saturday for a 2 p.m. ET game at St. John's. The game can be seen live from Carnesecca Arena on FOX Sports Networks and heard on 670 The Score.
- At least four players scored in double figures for the 11th time in 15 games this season... a year ago, the occurrence happened in six of 32 games.
- Eli Cain passed Dar Tucker (2007-09, 986 points) and Al Zetzsche (1966-69, 988 points) on DePaul's all-time scoring list and his 989 points are ranked 51st on the career scoring list.
- Cain's career-high 10 assists are the most by a DePaul player this season... it's the first 10-assist game by a DePaul player since Billy Garrett Jr.'s 10 assists on Feb. 25, 2016 against St. John's.
- Tre'Darius McCallum led DePaul in rebounds for the seventh time this season... he has totaled at least seven boards in five straight games.
- Max Strus scored in double figures for the 14th time this season... his 19 points ended a streak at four games with at least 20 points.
- Georgetown leads the all-time series over DePaul, 30-8... the two teams meet again in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 24.