Blue Demons Post Road Win at Providence
Jan. 5, 2013
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – DePaul evened its BIG EAST record with an impressive 83-73 win at Providence on Saturday night at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Cleveland Melvin led four players in double-figures with 23 points with the Blue Demons leading by as many as 22 points in the second half.
DePaul (10-5, 1-1 BIG EAST) started the second half with six straight points and didn’t look back as the Blue Demons outscored the Friars, 25-10, over the first 10 minutes of the second half. A three-point play by Donnavan Kirk gave DePaul its largest lead of the game at 62-40 with 9:58 left in the game.
Providence (8-6, 0-2 BIG EAST) closed the deficit to eight points with just under two minutes left, but the Blue Demons hit 9-of-12 free throws down the stretch for the 83-73 final.
The first half played even until the Blue Demons closed the frame with a six-point flurry to take a 37-30 advantage into intermission. Following a Bryce Cotton layup to cut DePaul’s lead to a point, Worrel Clahar knocked down two free throws with 1:28 left. He was followed by buckets from Melvin and Brandon Young to finish the half.
After totaling 13 points in the previous two games, Melvin equaled that in the first half and finished the night with 23 points and nine rebounds. Young and Jamee Crockett added 15 points each while Moses Morgan scored 10 points off the bench.
The Friars were led by 20 points from Bryce Cotton and 17 from Kadeem Batts.
DePaul continues its two-game road swing at Connecticut on Tuesday night. The Blue Demons and Huskies meet at 7 p.m. ET in Gampel Pavilion. The game can be seen in Chicago on The U Too as part of the BIG EAST Network and hears on WSCR 670 The Score.
- DePaul improves to 10-5 overall and 1-1 in BIG EAST play... Providence drops to 8-6 and 0-2.
- Saturday was the 30th all-time meeting between the two programs... Providence leads the series, 22-8... DePaul has won the last two meetings at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center.
- The Blue Demons are 1-1 to start BIG EAST play for the second straight year... it’s the fifth time in eight BIG EAST seasons that DePaul is either 1-1 or 2-0 after the first two conference games.
- DePaul is 4-0 in true road games this season... it’s the best start on the road since going 5-0 to open the 1993-94 season... the four-game road winning streak is the longest since a five-game away streak in January 2004.
- Under Oliver Purnell, DePaul is 15-3 when scoring at least 80 points... in 2012-13 the Blue Demons are 6-0 with 80 or more points.
- MEN'S SPORTS
- WOMEN'S SPORTS
- Ticket Office
- BUY TICKETS NOW
- Student Ticket Information
- Student Bus Schedule
- Varsity Sports Tickets
- Seating Charts
- Athletics Department
- Academic Advising
- Athletics Development
- Athletics Director
- Blue Crew
- Corporate Sponsorships
- General Releases
- Spirit Squads
- Sports Medicine
- Staff Directory