Jan. 6, 2018
QUEENS, N.Y. - Marin Maric and Max Strus combined for 47 points and 21 rebounds to lead DePaul over St. John's, 91-74, on Saturday at Carnesecca Arena. Tre'Darius McCallum nearly joined the double-double party with 16 points and nine boards and Eli Cain became the 50th player in program history to reach 1,000 career points after scored 11 against the Red Storm.
McCallum led the early charge hitting his first four attempts as the Blue Demons took a 19-15 lead with 11:20 left in the first half. The Blue Demons took their largest lead of the opening half on two free throws by Marin Maric for a 35-25 advantage with just under five minutes on the clock.
St. John's chipped away at the DePaul lead and a floater by Bashir Ahmed counted for the final basket of the first half with the Blue Demons holding a 42-38 advantage.
DePaul (8-8, 1-3 BIG EAST) led for just over 35 minutes and held its largest advantage at 19 points on a four-point play by Strus with 1:37 left. St. John's threatened midway through the second half and closed to within six before DePaul answered with six straight points and held a double-digit lead over the final eight minutes of the game.
Maric went 7-for-8 from the field that included a pair of three's and 9-of-10 from the free throw line to match his career high with 25 points. He also added team highs of 11 rebounds and five assists. Strus finished with 22 points, 10 rebounds and two assists for his first DePaul double-double.
McCallum totaled 16 points and nine rebounds while Cain finished with 11 points, four rebounds and four assists.
St. John's (10-6, 0-4 BIG EAST) was led by 21 points from Bashir Ahmed.
The Blue Demons return to Wintrust Arena on Friday, Jan. 12 for a game with the Providence Friars. Start time is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. following the DePaul women against Xavier.
- The win was No. 1,445 in program history... DePaul also extended its streak to 755 straight games with a three-pointer.
- Eli Cain became the 50th player in program history with 1,000 career points... the 11 points against St. John's put him at exactly 1,000 points in his career... today was his 49th career game in double-figures.
- Marin Maric matched his career high of 25 points... he previously scored 25 at Northern Illinois against Indiana State on Nov. 11, 2016.
- Maric played in his 110th career game... he totaled 96 games at Northern Illinois before transferring to DePaul as a graduate student.
- Max Strus recorded his first double-double... he scored in double-figures in 15 of 16 games this season.
- Maric and Strus are the first duo to record double-doubles in a game since Feb. 1, 2012... Cleveland Melvin (22 pts/11 rebs) and Brandon Young (13 pts/11 asts) posted double-doubles against St. John's.
- St. John's leads the all-time series by a 22-18 margin... the win was the first for DePaul at St. John's since Jan. 12, 2008 with a 60-54 win over the Red Storm.