Young Scores 35 in Road Loss at Connecticut
Jan. 8, 2013
STORRS, Conn. – Brandon Young scored a career-high 35 points, but Connecticut put four players in double-figures and used an early run to open up a 20-point halftime lead en route to a 99-78 decision over DePaul.
A three-pointer by Young pulled DePaul to within 12-6 just over three minutes into the game before the Huskies put together a 19-5 run capped by a Ryan Boatright three to make the score 33-13 with 10:30 left in the first half.
DePaul (10-6, 1-2 BIG EAST) pulled to within 12 points early in the second half, but Connecticut answered and pushed the advantage back to 24 points midway through the period.
Young added five assists, four rebounds and two steals to his 35 points while Cleveland Melvin added 18 points, five rebounds and five blocked shots for the Blue Demons.
Connecticut (11-3, 1-1 BIG EAST) was led by 26 points and eight rebounds from DeAndre Daniels while Boatright finished with 22 points.
Up next for the Blue Demons is Cincinnati on Tuesday, Jan. 15 at Allstate Arena. Start time is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- DePaul drops to 10-6 overall and 1-2 in BIG EAST games... Connecticut improves to 11-3 and 1-1.
- Connecticut leads the series by a 9-1 margin... the Huskies have won eight straight meetings... the two teams play again this season at Allstate Arena on Feb. 23.
- Brandon Young scored a career-high 35 points... it is his second career game of 30 or more points... the output is also the 30th game in program history of 35 or more points.
- The loss for the Blue Demons was the first in true road games this season... the Blue Demons are 4-1 in road games.
- DePaul extended its three-point streak to 595 straight games.
- Prior to the 99 points by Connecticut, Fairfield’s 78 points were the most points allowed.