Blue Demons Drop Overtime Heartbreaker to St. John's
Jan. 30, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. - In a classic back-and-forth battle between DePaul and St. John's, the Red Storm outlasted the Blue Demons in a 79-74 overtime decision on Wednesday night at Carnesecca Arena. Brandon Young led four players in double-figures with a game-high 21 points while Cleveland Melvin added a 13-rebound, 10-point double-double.
DePaul (10-10, 1-6 BIG EAST) trailed by seven at halftime and nine early in the second half before chipping away with Young's three-pointer knotting the score at 58-58 with 7:14 left on the clock. Each side held a lead over the final seven minutes and the score was tied three times including a 69-69 score at the clock expired to force overtime.
In the extra frame, Young's driving lay-up in the lane gave the Blue Demons a two-point advantage with 2:48 left before Sir'Dominic Pointer tied the game on the Red Storm's next possession. Over the final two minutes, St. John's scored six straight points for the 79-74 final.
Young added five assists and three rebounds to his 21 points while Melvin went 6-for-6 from the free throw line. Jamee Crockett added 14 points and six rebounds and Moses Morgan scored 13 with five boards off the bench. Donnavan Kirk blocked five shots while adding six points and six rebounds.
As a team, the Blue Demons went 18-for-20 from the free throw line that include a 12-of-13 effort in the second half.
St. John's (14-7, 6-3 BIG EAST) was led by 17 points from D'Angelo Harrison and 13 apiece for JaKarr Samspon and Phil Greene.
Up next for the Blue Demons is a Saturday afternoon game against Notre Dame. The Blue Demons and Fighting Irish are scheduled for a 1 p.m. start at Allstate Arena on ESPN2 and WSCR 670 The Score.
- DePaul drops to 10-10 overall and 1-6 in the BIG EAST... St. John's improves to 14-7 and 6-3... the loss was the fifth straight for the Blue Demons.
- St. John's sweeps the season series and leads the all-time series by a 17-14 margin... the Red Storm has won eight straight in the series... St. John's also won, 71-62, at Allstate Arena on Jan. 19.
- The Blue Demons made a three-pointer for the 599th straight game.
- Brandon Young moved up to 31st place on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he scored at least 20 points for the 18th time in his career.
- Cleveland Melvin recorded his fifth double-double of the season and the 12th of his career.
- DePaul is now 36-36 all-time in overtime games... the Blue Demons have lost six straight overtime games... DePaul and St. John's went to overtime for the second time in the last six meetings... the Red Storm claimed a 90-82 win in triple overtime on March 5, 2010 at Allstate Arena.
- MEN'S SPORTS
- WOMEN'S SPORTS
- Ticket Office
- BUY TICKETS NOW
- Student Ticket Information
- Student Bus Schedule
- Varsity Sports Tickets
- Seating Charts
- Athletics Department
- Academic Advising
- Athletics Development
- Athletics Director
- Blue Crew
- Corporate Sponsorships
- General Releases
- Spirit Squads
- Sports Medicine