Feb. 10, 2018
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – It was all DePaul at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center as the Blue Demons rolled to an 80-63 win over the Friars. Marin Maric led the Blue Demons with 18 points and Max Strus added 17 points.
The Blue Demons shot nearly 60 percent from the field in the first half and led by as many as 16 points before Eli Cain’s three-pointer just before the horn gave DePaul a 40-25 advantage at intermission. DePaul fell behind 6-2 before the Blue Demons answered and Eli Cain’s three-pointer with 10:39 left would give DePaul a lead it wouldn’t relinquish the rest of the game.
As good as DePaul shot from the field in the first half, they improved in the second half by combining to shoot .619 over the second 20 minutes. The Blue Demons converted 16-of-27 attempts in the first half before going 13-for-21 in the second half.
DePaul (10-14, 3-9 BIG EAST) didn’t let up after halftime and opened up the second half by scoring 18 of the first 20 points. A jumper by Maric put the Blue Demons up 58-27 just over six minutes into the second half. The 31-point advantage was DePaul’s largest lead of the afternoon.
Providence (16-9, 7-5 BIG EAST) never threatened as DePaul led by as least 20 until the final minutes of the game.
Maric added eight rebounds, two assists and two steals while Strus totaled five rebound and four steals while going 5-of-8 from three-point range. Tre’Darius McCallum finished with a 12-point, 10-rebound double-double with three steals and Cain totaled 14 points, five assists, three boards and two steals.
Nate Watson led Providence with 14 points and Isaiah Jackson added 12 and six rebounds.
DePaul returns to Wintrust Arena on Wednesday night for a matchup with St. John’s. The Blue Demons and Red Storm are scheduled for an 8 p.m. start on CBS Sports Network and WIND 560 AM.
- DePaul shot at least 60 percent from the field for the first time since shooting .667 (38-57) against Chicago State on Dec. 17, 2016.
- Eli Cain surpassed the 100 assist mark for the season... he also recorded his 55th career game in double-figures.
- Tre’Darius McCallum recorded his first double-double of the season and sixth of his career.
- Max Strus moved into eighth on DePaul’s single-season three-point field goal list... he has 66 three’s this season... Saturday was his fifth game this season with five or more three’s.
- DePaul is now 3-3 on the road in conference play... it’s the first time with three road BIG EAST wins since going 3-5 on the road in 2006-07.
- Saturday was the 40th meeting between the programs... Providence leads the series, 29-11... the two teams have split the last six meetings... the Friars won the first meeting, 71-64, on Jan. 12 at Wintrust Arena.