Blue Demons Come Up Short in Overtime at Notre Dame
Feb. 13, 2013
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – For the second time in 12 days 40 minutes wasn’t enough to settle the outcome for DePaul and Notre Dame as the Irish outlasted the Blue Demons, 82-78, in extra time on Wednesday. The result at Purcell Pavilion was the same as Feb. 2 when Notre Dame defeated DePaul, 79-71, in overtime at Allstate Arena.
In nearly identical fashion as Feb. 2, the Blue Demons trailed by double-figures early in the second half and chipped away until a three-pointer by Jamee Crockett pushed DePaul ahead by one with 8:13 left in the second half.
The remaining eight minutes of the second half saw four ties and each team lead by as many as three points. Brandon Young tied the game at 66-66 and neither team could convert over the final 80 seconds of regulation forcing an extra period.
In overtime, Notre Dame (20-5, 8-4 BIG EAST) outscored DePaul by a 16-12 margin for the 82-78 final. After Eric Atkins scored for the Irish and Cleveland Melvin knocked down a jumper for DePaul, a free throw by Jerian Grant gave Notre Dame a lead it wouldn’t relinquish over the final 3:47 of the game.
DePaul (10-14, 1-10 BIG EAST) trailed by as many as 14 points late in a first half that saw the Irish combine to shoot .552 from the field and lead 43-32 at intermission. The Blue Demons turned the tables in the second half with a .536 percentage and held Notre Dame to just 23 second-half points.
Melvin led the Blue Demons with 23 points while Young added 20 points and six assists. Donnavan Kirk scored a career-high 16 points for the second straight game and Crockett chipped in 10 points.
Grant scored 21 points for Notre Dame while Jack Cooley recorded a 16-point, 10-rebound double-double.
DePaul returns to Allstate Arena on Saturday for a Noon game against Rutgers. The Scarlet Knight and Blue Demons can be seen on ESPNU and heard on 670 The Score.
- Wednesday was the 104th all-time meeting between DePaul and Notre Dame... the Irish lead the series, 60-44... Notre Dame has won nine straight games against the Blue Demons including two this season.
- Cleveland Melvin moved into 20th place on DePaul’s all-time scoring list... Melvin scored at least 20 points in his 25th career game.
- Brandon Young moved into 25th on DePaul’s all-time scoring chart... Young has scored 20 or more in 20 career games.
- Melvin and Young each scored 20 or more for the second time this season.
- Donnavan Kirk scored a career-high 16 points for the second straight game.
- DePaul played its third overtime game of the season... the Blue Demons are 0-3 in overtime games... two of the three overtime games have been against Notre Dame... the three overtime games this season are the most since playing three during the 2010-11 season... DePaul played four overtime games during the 1997-98 campaign.
- The Blue Demons are 36-38 all-time in overtime games... DePaul has dropped eight straight overtime games... the last overtime win was a 68-66 decision in overtime against Detroit on Nov. 28, 2009.
- The loss was the 40th straight for DePaul against ranked opponents... the last win over a ranked opponent was an 84-76 win against No. 17/16 Villanova on Jan. 3, 2008.
- MEN'S SPORTS
- WOMEN'S SPORTS
- Ticket Office
- BUY TICKETS NOW
- Wintrust Arena Fan Guide
- Student Ticket Information
- Student Bus Schedule
- Varsity Sports Tickets
- Seating Charts
- Athletics Department
- Academic Advising
- Athletics Development
- Athletics Director
- Blue Crew
- Corporate Sponsorships
- General Releases
- Spirit Squads
- Sports Medicine