Dec. 2, 2017
CHICAGO - Five Blue Demons finished in double-figures as DePaul led start to finish en route to an 89-73 win over the visiting Youngstown State Penguins. Max Strus led DePaul with 20 points while Tre'Darius McCallum, Marin Maric, Eli Cain and Brandon Cyrus finished with 17, 17, 15 and 12 respectively.
Going into the first media timeout DePaul (3-4) held a 12-8 lead by scoring the first dozen points of the afternoon on dunks and layups while Youngstown State applied full-court pressure. Maric scored six points in his first seven minutes of game action.
Midway through the first half Strus got it rolling from behind the arc, knocking down back-to-back three-pointers to push the Blue Demons lead to 28-18.
The Blue Demons went into the half leading 47-32. Strus led all scorers with 11 points in the first half while Cain and Maric added 10 points apiece. DePaul shot .633 (19-30) in the opening half and finished with a season-high mark of .576 (34-59) for the game.
DePaul built its lead into the second half and with 13:57 to go in the game, Strus finished through contact and then made his free throw, giving DePaul a 62-43 advantage via a three-point play. The Blue Demons led by as many as 24 points with just over five minutes left in the game.
Strus added five rebounds, four assists and four steals to his team-high 20 points. McCallum totaled 17 points, four rebounds and two blocked shots while Maric finished with 17 points, three rebounds and two assists. Cain led the Blue Demons with seven rebounds to go with 15 points and three assists. Cyrus scored 12 points off the bench with four boards.
Youngtown State (2-7) was led by Braun Hartfield with a game-high 23 points. Cameron Morse added 11 and Jaylen Benton chipped in 10 points.
DePaul returns to action Wednesday as Central Connecticut travels to Chicago for an 8 p.m. start at Wintrust Arena. The game can be seen on FS1 and heard in Chicago on WIND 560 AM.
- DePaul played its first home game in 19 days... prior to today, the Blue Demons hosted Delaware State on Nov. 13.
- DePaul shooting a combined .512 (66-129) from the field over the last two games compared to .367 (116-316) over first five games of season... from three-point range the difference is .419 (18-43) in last two games compared to .253 (24-95) in the first five contests.
- Five players reached double-figures for the first time this season... at least four have scored in double-figures in six of seven games this season... a year ago, the Blue Demons put at least four in double-figures six games total (32 games).
- Eli Cain played in his 70th career game... with 15 points he surpassed the 900-point plateau and has 908 career points.
- Max Strus scored at least 20 points for the second straight game... Strus is shooting .529 (9-17) from three-point range in the last two games.
- DePaul is 3-0 all-time against Youngstown State... Saturday was the first game since November 2001.
- DePaul is 58-12 all-time against the current membership of the Horizon League... the Blue Demons also face UIC on Dec. 9 at the UIC Pavilion.