Dec. 6, 2017
CHICAGO – A stalwart defensive effort led DePaul to an 85-57 win over visiting Central Connecticut State on Wednesday night as the Blue Demons held the Blue Devils to 57 points, tying their lowest point total allowed on the season.
With the win, the Blue Demons have won three games in a row and improve to 3-1 at Wintrust Arena.
Five Blue Demons finished in double-digits, led by Eli Cain with 17 and Brandon Cyrus with 16 points. Tre’Darius McCallum finished with 13 points and six rebounds, Marin Maric totaled 13 points and seven bords, and Jaylen Butz finished a rebound shy of a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
Central Connecticut (5-4) was led by Joe Hugley’s 11 points and 10 points from Mustafa Jones.
DePaul jumped out to a 12-4 advantage before a timeout on the floor stopped action with 14:09 remaining in the first half. The Blue Demons opened up their first double-0digit lead of the game, 21-10, on a Cain three-pointer with 11:32 remaining. Central Connecticut cut the DePaul lead to eight with 2:30 left in the half, however an 8-0 run from the Blue Demons put DePaul up 39-23 going into intermission.
After Central Connecticut moved to within nine points with 14:10 remaining in the game, DePaul answered and put the game away over the next four minutes. Midway through the second half a driving Cain found a cutting Maric who received the pass along the baseline before rising up for a two-handed dunk to give the Blue Demons a commanding 17-point advantage.
DePaul (4-4) grew its lead in the closing minutes, riding the play of Cyrus who led DePaul with 11 second half points.
DePaul returns to action Saturday as the Blue Demons travel to UIC’s campus for a 3 p.m. tip with the Flames. The game can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago and heard in Chicago on WSCR 670 AM live from the UIC Pavilion.
- Five players scored in double-figures for the second straight game... at least four have finished in double-figures in seven of eight games this season.
- The 28-point margin of victory was DePaul’s largest this season and the second game with at least a 20-point margin of victory... DePaul defeated Delaware State, 81-57, on Nov. 13.
- Eli Cain’s 17 points marked in 45th career game in double-figures... he also knocked down three three-pointers for his 11th career game of three or more three’s in a game... Cain now has 925 career points.
- Marin Maric’s seven rebounds gives him 698 in his career... he finished in double-figures for the fourth straight game.
- Wednesday was the first meeting between the two programs... DePaul is 15-4 all-time against the current membership of the Northeast Conference.
- DePaul head coach Dave Leitao matched up against his former player Donyell Marshall... Leitao recruited and coached Marshall as a member of the Connecticut staff from 1991-94.