Blue Demons and Golden Eagles play at 8 p.m. at Allstate Arena
Feb. 5, 2012
CHICAGO - The 111th edition of the DePaul-Marquette series takes place Monday night at Allstate Arena. The Blue Demons and Golden Eagles are scheduled for an 8 p.m. start in Rosemont, Ill. DePaul is looking to snap a two-game losing streak as they are wrapping up a six-day stretch that features three games.
DePaul is 11-11 overall and 2-8 in BIG EAST play while Marquette stands at 19-5 overall and 8-3 in league action. Marquette is ranked No. 15 in both of last week’s AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches top 25’s with the new polls due to be released prior to Monday’s 8 p.m. start. The Golden Eagles lead the series, 66-44, and hold a two-game winning streak in the series.
All of the action can be heard on WSCR 670 The Score in Chicagoland with Zach Zaidman (play-by-play) and Laurence Holmes (analyst) providing the audio description. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU with Carter Blackburn (play-by-play) and Mike Kelley (analyst) calling the action courtside.
Audio streaming of the radio call and live stats are also available online at www.depaulbluedemons.com. In-game scoring updates and notes can be followed as well at www.twitter.com/depaulsid.
Following the Marquette game, DePaul travels to Notre Dame on Saturday, Feb. 11 for a Noon ET game against the Irish. The Blue Demons and Irish meet for the 102nd time and the game can be seen on The U Too in Chicagoland as part of the BIG EAST Network and heard on WSCR 670 The Score.
Noting the Blue Demons: The men’s basketball program is 1,383-873 (.613) all-time... the Blue Demons have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 570 straight games... DePaul’s last game without a three was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena... the Blue Demons are 310-138 (.692) all-time in Rosemont... DePaul is 6-1 (.857) all-time in games at McGrath-Phillips Arena... DePaul’s 9-3 start during the non-conference schedule was the best through 12 games since the 1999-00 squad also started 9-3... over the last 25 seasons, only three teams have started with nine or more wins in the first 12 games... the Blue Demons currently hold a seven-game winning streak against Chicagoland programs that includes victories over Chicago State, UIC, Loyola and Northern Illinois... in each of Oliver Purnell’s two seasons at DePaul, the Blue Demons have faced three Chicagoland opponents during the non-conference portion of the schedule with wins in each meeting... Cleveland Melvin and Brandon Young have each scored at least 20 points in five games this season... the Blue Demons are 3-2 in those games... DePaul is 7-0 this season with at least four players in double-figures and 4-1 with 10 or more three-pointers.
The Opponent - Marquette Golden Eagles: Marquette enters Monday’s game at 19-5 overall and 8-3 in BIG EAST play... a 76-59 loss at Notre Dame on Saturday snapped a seven-game winning streak... Darius Johnson-Odom leads the team with 18.0 points per game and 52 three-pointers... Jae Crowder adds a 16.0 scoring average and a team-high 7.5 rebounds per contest... head coach Buzz Williams is in his fourth season leading the Marquette program.
The Series: DePaul’s longest-running series enters its 111th meeting Monday night... Marquette holds a 66-44 advantage in the series with a five wins in the last six meetings... in BIG EAST play, the Golden Eagles have won seven of nine games between the two sides... in home games, DePaul is 30-26 against Marquette... in the last meeting at Allstate Arena, Mike Stovall’s jumper with a second left lifted DePaul to a 51-50 win on Jan. 20, 2010.
The Last Meeting: Marquette used a 12-0 run at the end of the first half to open up a 17-point halftime advantage in a 94-64 win at the Bradley Center on Jan. 18, 2011... the 30-point margin of victory was the largest by either team in the 110 all-time games between the two schools... Cleveland Melvin scored 20 points to lead DePaul... Jimmy Drew added 12, Brandon Young scored 11 and Tony Freeland finished with 10 points... Jimmy Butler and Darius Johnson-Odom each scored 20 to lead Marquette.
It Could Happen: A win would give DePaul back-to-back home wins against Marquette... the Blue Demons knocked off the Golden Eagles, 51-50, in the last meeting on Jan. 20, 2010... Cleveland Melvin needs 18 points for 800 in his career... Moses Morgan needs one three-pointer to tie for 22nd on DePaul’s season three-point field goal list... Jeremiah Kelly needs three steals for 150 career... the three steals would also move him up to eighth all-time at DePaul... Brandon Young needs one assist to move into a tie with Tyrone Corbin (1981-85) for 25th all-time at DePaul.
Demon Doings: Notes following DePaul’s 74-66 loss at Cincinnati on Feb. 4:
- DePaul extended its streak with a three-pointer to 570 straight games... the last game without a three was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB.
- The Blue Demons are now 9-1 when leading with five minutes left... DePaul is also 8-3 when leading at halftime... the Blue Demons have dropped two straight games when leading at halftime.
- When allowing opponents to score 70 or more points, DePaul is 5-11... when holding opponents under 70 points, DePaul is 6-0.
- Cleveland Melvin recorded his second straight double-double... it was his third of the season and fourth of his career... Melvin is the first DePaul player with back-to-back double-doubles since Mac Koshwal in March 2010... Koshwal posted double-doubles against USF (24 pts./11 rebs.) and St. John’s (23 pts./10 rebs.).
- Melvin’s 13 rebounds set a new career high... it’s the most rebounds in a game since Koshwal’s 13 boards at Florida Gulf Coast on Dec. 22, 2009.
- Melvin moved into a tie for 16th all-time on DePaul’s blocked shots list... the sophomore has 64 rejections in 49 games.
- Jamee Crockett reached double-figures for the third time in the last four games... he is averaging 14.8 points in 20.8 minutes per game in that span... he has eight double-figure games this season.
- Cincinnati has forced at least 10 turnovers in 21 of 23 games... the Bearcats have held 18 of 23 opponents under 70 points.
- Saturday was the 49th meeting between the two teams... Cincinnati leads the series, 34-15.
- The Bearcats have won four straight games in the series.