Feb. 10, 2012
CHICAGO - DePaul and Notre Dame meet for the 102nd time on Saturday afternoon at Purcell Pavilion. The Blue Demons and Fighting Irish are scheduled for a Noon ET start with the Blue Demons looking to snap a three-game losing streak.
DePaul is 11-12 overall and 2-9 in BIG EAST play while Notre Dame stands at 16-8 overall and 8-3 in league action. Notre Dame is receiving votes in both of this week's AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches top 25's and currently holds a five-game winning streak. The Irish lead the series, 57-44, and hold a six-game winning streak in the series.
All of the action can be heard on WSCR 670 The Score in Chicagoland with Zach Zaidman (play-by-play) and Jeff Blanzy (analyst) providing the audio description. The game will be televised on the BIG EAST Network and can be seen in Chicagoland on The U Too with Mike Gleason (play-by-play) and Bob Wenzel (analyst) calling the action courtside. For Chicagoland viewers watching with an antenna, the over-the-air digital position is The U Too 26.2. Chicagoland cable subscribers will see The U Too on Comcast 248, RCN 35 and WOW 170.
Audio streaming of the radio call and live stats are also available online at www.depaulbluedemons.com. In-game scoring updates and notes can be followed as well at www.twitter.com/depaulsid. ESPN3 will also carry the BIG EAST Network broadcast online.
Following the Notre Dame game, DePaul travels to Connecticut on Wednesday, Feb. 15 for a 7 p.m. ET game at Gampel Pavilion. The Blue Demons and Huskies meet for the eighth time and the game can be seen on The U Too in Chicagoland as part of the BIG EAST Network and heard on WSCR 670 The Score.
Noting the Blue Demons: The men's basketball program is 1,383-874 (.613) all-time... the Blue Demons have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 571 straight games... DePaul's last game without a three was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena... the Blue Demons are 310-139 (.690) all-time in Rosemont... DePaul is 6-1 (.857) all-time in games at McGrath-Phillips Arena... DePaul's 9-3 start during the non-conference schedule was the best through 12 games since the 1999-00 squad also started 9-3... over the last 25 seasons, only three teams have started with nine or more wins in the first 12 games... the Blue Demons currently hold a seven-game winning streak against Chicagoland programs that includes victories over Chicago State, UIC, Loyola and Northern Illinois... in each of Oliver Purnell's two seasons at DePaul, the Blue Demons have faced three Chicagoland opponents during the non-conference portion of the schedule with wins in each meeting... Cleveland Melvin and Brandon Young have each scored at least 20 points in five games this season... the Blue Demons are 3-2 in those games... DePaul is 7-1 this season with at least four players in double-figures and 4-1 with 10 or more three-pointers.
The Opponent - Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Notre Dame enters Saturday's game at 16-8 overall and 8-3 in BIG EAST play... the Irish have won five straight games including a 55-51 win at West Virginia on Wednesday... Eric Atkins leads the team with 12.9 points per game while Jerian Grant adds a 12.7 scoring average... Jack Cooley is averaging 11.0 points and a team-high 8.6 rebounds per contest... head coach Mike Brey is in his 12th season leading the Notre Dame program.
The Series: DePaul and Notre Dame meet for the 102nd time on Saturday afternoon... Notre Dame holds a 57-44 advantage in the series with six straight wins in the series... in BIG EAST play, the Irish have won seven of nine games between the two sides.
The Last Meeting: Notre Dame posted an 83-58 win over DePaul at Allstate Arena on Feb. 3, 2011... a 14-2 run for Notre Dame turned a 22-20 lead into a 36-22 advantage late in the first half... Brandon Young led DePaul with 16 points while Moses Morgan added 10... Cleveland Melvin was held to just four points but pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds... Ben Hansbrough led four Notre Dame players in double-figures with 24 points... Scott Martin added 15 as the Irish combined to shoot .509 from the field.
It Could Happen: A win snaps a six-game losing streak against Notre Dame... Cleveland Melvin needs 10 points for 300 in his career... Jeremiah Kelly needs three steals for 150 career... the three steals would also move him up to eighth all-time at DePaul... with five three's Kelly moves into a tie with three others for 22 on the season three-point field goal list... Brandon Young needs 10 assists to move into a tie with Skip Dillard (1979-82) for 24th all-time at DePaul.
Demon Doings: Notes following DePaul's 89-76 loss against No. 18/19 Marquette on Feb. 6:
- The Blue Demons have now lost 35 straight games against ranked opponents... their last win came Jan. 3, 2008 at Allstate Arena when they took down No. 17/16 Villanova, 84-76.
- DePaul has led at the half in three straight games... the Blue Demons have lost each of those games to St. John's (87-81), Cincinnati (74-66), and Marquette (89-76)... DePaul is now 8-4 overall when leading at halftime.
- When allowing opponents to score 70 or more points, DePaul is 5-12... when holding opponents under 70 points, DePaul is 6-0.
- Cleveland Melvin moved into sole possession of 16th all-time on DePaul's blocked shots list... the sophomore has 65 rejections in 50 games.
- Melvin scored 22 points for his 40th career game in double-figures and 15th career game with 20 or more points... also scored his 800th career point in the game.
- Jamee Crockett's four-point play with 16:20 remaining in the first half is DePaul's first four-point play since Moses Morgan's last season vs. Cincinnati on Feb. 8, 2011.
- Crockett finished with 17 points... has double-figures in four of his last five games.
- Charles McKinney posted 10 points for his first double-figure game since opening the season with back-to-back 10-point performances.
- Worrel Clahar registered a career-high 16 points... his previous best came earlier this season when he scored 14 at then-No. 24 Seton Hall on Jan. 10.
- DePaul's first loss of the season when at least four Blue Demons score in double-figures.
- Monday was the 111th meeting between the teams... Marquette now holds a 67-44 advantage in the all-time series... the Golden Eagles have won three straight games in the series.