Nov. 19, 2012
Game Notes: DePaul | Wichita State
TV: CBS Sports Network
Online Audio/Video: BlueTube
Live Stats: GameTracker
The Last Meeting
March 17, 1988
South Bend, Ind.
CANCUN, Mexico - The 2012 Cancun Challenge moves to the Galactic Ballroom at the Moon Palace Resort with the Blue Demons facing Wichita State on Tuesday evening. DePaul split a pair of games at Allstate Arena to open the event with a 71-59 loss to Gardner-Webb followed by a 98-67 win over Austin Peay. DePaul and Wichita State are scheduled for a 6 p.m. start in Cancun.
Tuesday’s game can be seen on the CBS Sports Network with Thad Anderson (play-by-play) and Rich Zvosec (analyst) handling the television duties. Live audio will also be available online on BlueTube at www.depaulbluedemons.com with Zach Zaidman (play-by-play) and Jeff Blanzy (analyst) calling all the action. The audio feed will also be available DePaul’s mobile app. Live stats can be found on GameTracker at www.depaulbluedemons.com and in-game scoring updates and notes can be followed as well at www.twitter.com/depaulsid.
DePaul opened the season with a 91-59 win over UC Riverside at McGrath-Phillips Arena on Nov. 9 before the Cancun Challenge split with Gardner-Webb and Austin Peay at Allstate Arena. Wichita State stands at 4-0 with a 79-63 win over Western Carolina and a 69-50 decision against Howard in Cancun Challenge action. DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell is in his third season at DePaul and his 25th as a head coach at the collegiate level.
Following the Wichita State game, DePaul faces either Iowa or Western Kentucky on Wednesday night in either the consolation or championship game. Wednesday’s action will also be televised on the CBS Sports Network while Zaidman and Blanzy also call the game online at www.depaulbluedemons.com.
Cancun Challenge Information: The 2012 Cancun Challenge is in its fifth year and is owned and produced by Triple Crown Sports out of Fort Collins, Colo. DePaul is one of four teams in the Riviera Division with Iowa, Western Kentucky and Wichita State. Each team in the Riviera Division will host two teams from the Mayan Division (Austin Peay, Gardner-Webb, Howard, Western Carolina) in the United States before all eight teams travel to Cancun.
DePaul hosted Gardner-Webb (Nov. 15) and Austin Peay (Nov. 17) before taking on Wichita State in the third game at the Galactic Ballroom at the Moon Palace Resort on Tuesday, Nov. 20. The Blue Demons then face either Iowa or Western Kentucky on Wednesday, Nov. 21 before returning to Chicago on Thanksgiving Day.
Noting the Blue Demons: The men’s basketball program is 1,386-881 (.611) all-time... the Blue Demons have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 582 straight games... DePaul’s last game without a three was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena... the Blue Demons are 312-142 (.687) all-time at Allstate Arena... DePaul is 7-1 (.875) all-time in games at McGrath-Phillips Arena... the Blue Demons currently hold a seven-game winning streak against Chicagoland programs that includes victories over Chicago State, UIC, Loyola and Northern Illinois... in each of Oliver Purnell’s two seasons at DePaul, the Blue Demons have faced three Chicagoland opponents during the non-conference portion of the schedule with wins in each meeting.
The Opponent - Wichita State Shockers: Wichita State stands at 4-0 after two games... the Shockers posted a 79-63 win over Western Carolina (Nov. 15) and a 69-50 win against Howard (Nov. 17) in the first two games of the Cancun Challenge... Wichita State also defeated N.C. Central and VCU to open the season... Carl Hall leads the team with 14.0 points and 8.8 rebounds per game while Cleanthony Early adds a scoring average of 12.8 points per game off the bench... head coach Gregg Marshall is in his sixth season leading the Wichita State program... DePaul coach Oliver Purnell is meeting Wichita State for the first time... the Shockers have played two former Oliver Purnell assistant coaches this season in Shaka Smart (VCU) and Kevin Nickelberry (Howard)...Nickelberry was an assistant on Purnell’s Clemson staff from 2003-06 while Smart was at Clemson from 2006-08.
The Series: DePaul leads the series, 4-2... Tuesday is the first meeting since an 83-62 win in the first round of the NCAA Championship on Mar. 17, 1988.
Against the Missouri Valley: DePaul is 97-31 all-time against the current lineup of Missouri Valley Conference programs... the Blue Demons have played Bradley 38 times as the most common foe from the MVC.
It Could Happen: Cleveland Melvin needs 13 points to become the 47th player in program history with 1,000 career points... he enters Tuesday’s game with 987 points in 61 career games... with nine points, Melvin passes Kevin Edwards (995 points, 1986-88) for 47th place... Edwards is currently on DePaul’s staff as the director of community, corporate and professional relations... Moses Morgan needs three three-pointers to pass Quemont Greer (2001-05) and Terry Davis (1989-93) for 18th on the career three-point field goal list... Morgan has 82 three’s in 57 career games... Brandon Young (274 assists) needs six assists to pass Joe Daughrity (279 assists, 1990-92) for 20th place on the all-time assists chart... with 10 points, Young reaches the 900-point plateau in his career.
Demon Doings: Notes following DePaul’s 98-67 win against Austin Peay on Nov. 17:
- The game was the first meeting between the two schools.
- Head coach Oliver Purnell improved to 2-0 in his career versus Austin Peay... the last time Purnell faced the Governors he was head coach at the University of Dayton, winning a 76-61 game on Dec. 18, 2001.
- DePaul improved to 14-1 all-time against current members of the Ohio Valley Conference.
- DePaul extended its streak of consecutive games with a three-pointer to 582... Moses Morgan hit the Blue Demons first triple from the top of the key with 13:12 remaining in the first half... the last time the Blue Demons failed to hit from beyond the arc was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena.
- After a season-opening 32-point win versus UC Riverside, the 98-67 win over Austin Peay was the Blue Demons’ third 30-plus point margin of victory in the Oliver Purnell era... DePaul’s biggest win under Purnell came on Nov. 14, 2010 in a 114-81 win over Chicago State.
- Cleveland Melvin finished in double figures for the 51st time in 61 career games... he has scored in double figures in 17 straight games going back to the 2011-12 season.
- Brandon Young also finished in double figures for the 47th time in his Blue Demon career... he has a current streak of seven games in a row with 10 or more points.
- Young moved into 21st place all-time in career assists... he needed just one entering the game to break a tie at 269 assists with Jermaine Watts (1994-98).
- Moses Morgan finished with a season-high 15 points. His four three-pointers were one short of his career high.
Who’s Next: The Blue Demons face either Iowa or Western Kentucky in the final game of the Cancun Challenge... vs. Iowa: Wednesday could be the fourth meeting between the two programs... the last meeting was a 96-87 loss in the NIT first round on Mar. 15, 1995... the Hawkeye stand at 4-0 entering the Western Kentucky game... vs. Western Kentucky: DePaul leads the all-time series by a 10-5 margin... the 16th meeting could take place Wednesday... the two program played 14 times from 1942-64, but just once since then... the Blue Demons posted an 84-69 win over the Hilltoppers on Dec. 19, 1995.