DePaul goes 11 stops north on the CTA Red Line Wednesday for 7 p.m. start at Gentile Arena
Dec. 6, 2011
CHICAGO - DePaul continues its three-game, six-day run of games at Loyola on Wednesday night. The Blue Demons and Ramblers meet for the 55th time at Gentile Arena in Rogers Park at 7 p.m. The six-day run started Monday night with an 87-76 loss against Milwaukee at Allstate Arena and concludes in Rosemont on Saturday afternoon against Chicago State.
Wednesday’s 7 p.m. start can be seen in Chicagoland on Lakeshore Public TV with Jordan Bernfield (play-by-play) and Jeff Dickerson (analyst) calling all the action. The game can also be heard on WSCR 670 The Score with Zach Zaidman (play-by-play) and Laurence Holmes (analyst) handling the radio duties. Live stats are available online at www.depaulbluedemons.com and in-game scoring updates and notes can be followed as well at www.twitter.com/depaulsid.
Following the Loyola game, DePaul returns to Allstate Arena for a Saturday matinee against Chicago State. The game will be televised in Chicagoland on The U Too with Zaidman and Jeff Blanzy handling the announcing duties. The broadcast will also be simulcasted on WSCR 670 The Score with a scheduled tip time of 1 p.m.
Noting the Blue Demons: The men’s basketball program is 1,376-864 (.614) all-time... the Blue Demons have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 555 straight games... DePaul’s last game without a three was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena... the Blue Demons are 307-134 (.696) all-time in Rosemont... however DePaul is currently on an 11-game losing streak at Allstate Arena... DePaul is 5-1 (.833) all-time in games at McGrath-Phillips Arena.
The Opponent - Loyola Ramblers: Loyola stands at 1-6 overall and 0-2 in Horizon League action... the Ramblers dropped a 59-41 decision at Milwaukee and a 57-47 defeat at Green Bay to open their league schedule last weekend... Ben Averkamp leads the team with 11.9 points and 6.1 rebounds per game... Walt Gibler adds an 11.3 scoring average and a rebounding average of 5.1... head coach Porter Moser is in his first season leading the Loyola program.
The Series: Wednesday is the 55th meeting between the two programs... DePaul holds a 37-17 advantage in the series... the Blue Demons have won 10 straight in the series and 13 of the last 14 meetings... the two sides met for the first time since Nov. 2003 last season at Allstate Arena.
The Last Meeting: DePaul knocked off Loyola, 81-74, at Allstate Arena on Dec. 18, 2010... the Blue Demons withstood a 31-point barrage from Loyola’s Geoff McCammon... five DePaul players scored in double-figures led by Tony Freeland’s 16 points off the bench... Cleveland Melvin and Mike Stovall added 13 for DePaul while Jeremiah Kelly scored 12 and Krys Faber finished with 10... Ben Averkamp also scored 17 points for the Ramblers... DePaul held a 32-30 advantage at halftime and finished the game with a team .545 shooting percentage.
Against the Horizon League: DePaul is 108-37 all-time against the current lineup of the Horizon League... the Blue Demons dropped an 87-76 decision against Milwaukee on Monday night at Allstate Arena... Loyola is DePaul’s most common Horizon League opponent with 54 all-time meetings.
It Could Happen: A win over Loyola extends DePaul winning streak in the series to 11 straight victories... Jeremiah Kelly needs two three-pointers to move into a tie for ninth with Joe Tulley (119 3pt. FG, 1999-03)... Brandon Young needs five assists for 150 career helpers.
Demon Doings: Notes following DePaul’s 87-76 loss against Milwaukee on Dec. 5:
- DePaul extends its three-point streak to 555 straight games.
- The Blue Demons have lost 11 straight games at Allstate Arena dating back to last season... DePaul’s last win in Rosemont was a 71-62 decision against Florida Atlantic on Dec. 22, 2010.
- Cleveland Melvin reached at least 20 points for the third time this season and 11th time of his career.
- Brandon Young scored 20 or more for the third time this season and the eight time of his career.
- Melvin and Young have each scored at least 20 points in a game on three occasions this season.
- Milwaukee is off to its best start since an 8-0 beginning during the 1992-93 campaign... since last season, the Panthers are 18-4 in their last 22 games.
- Kaylon Williams scored a career-high 21 points... he recorded his 17th career game in double-figures.
- Paris Gulley and Tony Meier both set an individual three-point percentage (min. five 3pt. FG) record at Allstate Arena record by going 5-for-5 (1.000).
- Milwaukee’s team field goal percentage of .617 (29-47) set a new opponent record at Allstate Arena... the mark was previously set by St. John’s on Feb. 28, 2009... the Red Storm combined for a .604 (32-53) percentage.
- Monday was the 11th meeting between the two programs... DePaul leads the series, 10-1.
- All 11 meetings have been played at DePaul.