Dec. 9, 2011
CHICAGO - DePaul concludes its three-game, six-day run of games against Chicago State on Saturday afternoon at Allstate Arena. The Blue Demons split the first two games with a loss against Milwaukee on Monday followed by a win at Loyola-Chicago on Wednesday.
The Blue Demons and Cougars meet for the 10th time at 1 p.m. in Rosemont and the game can be seen in Chicagoland on The U Too with Zach Zaidman (play-by-play) and Jeff Blanzy (analyst) calling all the action. The broadcast will also be simulcasted on WSCR 670 The Score. Live stats are available online at www.depaulbluedemons.com and in-game scoring updates and notes can be followed as well at www.twitter.com/depaulsid.
Following the Chicago State game, DePaul plays its third straight game against a Chicagoland opponent with a road trip to DeKalb to face Northern Illinois. The Blue Demons and Huskies square off in DeKalb on Dec. 14 at 8 p.m. The game can be heard on WSCR 670 The Score with Zaidman and Laurence Holmes calling all the action.
Noting the Blue Demons: The men's basketball program is 1,377-864 (.615) all-time... the Blue Demons have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 556 straight games... DePaul's last game without a three was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena... the Blue Demons are 307-134 (.696) all-time in Rosemont... however DePaul is currently on an 11-game losing streak at Allstate Arena... DePaul is 5-1 (.833) all-time in games at McGrath-Phillips Arena.
The Opponent - Chicago State Cougars: Chicago State stands at 0-8 overall... the Cougars dropped a 73-61 decision in their last game against Toledo on Dec. 3... Jeremy Robinson leads the team with 14.3 points per game... he is followed by Lee Fisher with 11.4 points and a team-high 7.0 rebounds per game... Matt Samuels also holds a double-figure scoring average of 10.6... head coach Tracy Dildy is in his second season leading the Chicago State program.
The Series: Saturday is the 10th meeting between the two programs... DePaul has won all nine previous meetings... a year ago, the Blue Demons posted a 114-81 decision over Chicago State at McGrath-Phillips Arena on DePaul's Lincoln Park campus.
The Last Meeting: DePaul opened the Oliver Purnell era with a 114-81 win over Chicago State on Nov. 14, 2010... the game was played on DePaul's Lincoln Park campus at McGrath-Phillips Arena... Tony Freeland's 21 points off the bench led five DePaul players in double-figures... Cleveland Melvin and Mike Stovall each added 19 points while Jeremiah Kelly scored 12 and Brandon Young added 11 points... the Blue Demons combined to shoot .592 (42-71) from the field and led, 59-45, at halftime... Christian Wall led four Chicago State players in double-figures with 15 points... the 100-point game was the first for DePaul since a 108-69 win over Syracuse on Mar. 2, 2006.
Against the Great West: DePaul is 22-3 all-time against the current lineup of the Great West Conference... the Blue Demons opened the 2011-12 season with a 91-72 decision against UT-Pan American... North Dakota is DePaul's most common Great West opponent... the Blue Demons hold an 8-3 record against North Dakota but the two teams haven't played since the 1966-67 season.
It Could Happen: A win over Chicago State extends DePaul winning streak in the series to 10 straight victories... a win will also snap an 11-game losing streak at Allstate Arena... Jeremiah Kelly needs three three-pointers to move into seventh on DePaul career list... he enters the game tied for ninth with 119 three's with Joe Tulley (1999-03)... Tom Kleinschmidt (1991-95) is eight with 120 three's and Bobby Simmons (1998-01) is seventh with 121 three's.
Demon Doings: Notes following DePaul's 69-58 win at Loyola-Chicago on Dec. 7:
- The 30-point halftime lead is the Blue Demons' largest of the season... they previously led by 13 at the half against UT-Pan American on Nov. 11 at the McGrath-Phillips Arena.
- With 1:22 off the clock in the second half, DePaul led the Ramblers 52-19... the 33-point lead is DePaul's largest at any point in a game this season.
- The DePaul defense allowed just 17 points in the first half to the Ramblers, the lowest first-half output allowed by the Blue Demons in the Oliver Purnell era... their previous low came on December 14, 2010 at home against Milwaukee when they allowed 22.
- DePaul extends its three-point streak to 556 straight games.
- Cleveland Melvin was held to single-digit points (7) for the first time in 2011-12... it snapped a 10-game streak in double-figures dating back to last season.
- Brandon Young's double-figure scoring streak ended at eight games with eight points at Loyola.
- Neither Melvin or Young reached double-figures for the first time in 35 career games playing together.
- Freshman Jamee Crockett made his first career start for DePaul... he registered 11 points, giving him double-figures in back-to-back games... had 10 points on Monday vs. Milwaukee.
- Jeremiah Kelly knocked down two three-pointers in the game, giving him 119 in his career and tying him with Joe Tulley for ninth on DePaul's all-time list.
- Loyola senior Walt Gibler put up a game-high and career-high 29 points, including 21 in the second half... it was Gibler's 37th career game in double-figures.
- The non-conference loss is just the eighth for the Ramblers in their home arena since the start of the 2005-06 season... they 36-8 in that span.
- Wednesday was the 55th meeting between these two squads... DePaul now leads 38-17.
- DePaul has won 11 straight and 14 of the last 15 decisions versus the Ramblers.
- This was the first time the Blue Demons played away at Loyola-Chicago since January 5, 1980.
Three Decades in Rosemont: DePaul is in its 32nd season in 2011-12 at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill. The Blue Demons are 307-134 (.696) all-time in Rosemont. DePaul played its first season at the then-named Rosemont Horizon in 1980. The Blue Demons debuted in Rosemont with a 74-56 win over Gonzaga and John Stockton on Dec. 1, 1980.