Ohio State Slips Past DePaul in Columbus
Antonio Aguilar registered a game-high five shots.

Sept. 14, 2012

Box Score: Ohio State 2, DePau Get Acrobat Reader

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Despite a final minute goal from sophomore Thiago Ganancio, the DePaul men's soccer team couldn't mount the comeback it needed to overtake Ohio State on Friday night as it fell 2-1 in Columbus.

DePaul (2-4-0) came out of the gates at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium with an insistent attack. In the seventh minute, the freshmen pair of Joe Brinckwirth and Michael Kozielek each fired shots at Buckeye goalkeeper Alex Wimmer, but the junior keeper fought them off.

Blue Demon goalkeeper Eric Sorby was tested early on as well but the senior turned away the first three shots on goal that he faced. On the Buckeyes' fourth chance, however, they converted.

In the 36th minute, OSU's Louie Berra put one past Sorby to give the Buckeye's a 1-0 advantage to take into halftime. Before the half ended, however, the Blue Demons got off four straight shots on goal but Wimmer was stingy in net, saving each. Into the break, Sorby had registered three saves while Wimmer notched six.

The second half saw the match continue much of the back-and-forth play that it exuded in the first frame with both Wimmer and Sorby remaining solid.

Blue Demon senior Antonio Aguilar, who picked up his first goal of the season in DePaul's previous match, was an arsenal--pumping out a game-high five shots, two on target. Behind him, freshman Drew Dempsey also let loose, tallying four shots, three on goal.

Despite the consistent attack, DePaul couldn't break through on Wimmer. In the 87th minute, Dempsey took a point blank shot on Wimmer but the keeper kept the Blue Demons off the scoresheet.

With DePaul putting forth a relentless attack in the waning minutes, Ohio State's Kenny Cunningham notched the clincher for the Buckeyes in the 90th.

Though down 2-0, the Blue Demons did not give up. Following a corner kick by Aguilar, Ganancio--who, before the 90th minute, hadn't registered a shot in the match--took a pass from Kozielek and sent one at the Buckeye net with just two seconds left on the clock. The ball slid past Wimmer to end the shutout and pull the score to 2-1. With no time left of the clock, however, DePaul was unable to nab the equalizer.

DePaul returns to the pitch on Wednesday when it welcomes Drake to Wish Field for a noon non-conference matchup. It will be DePaul's last non-conference match before beginning BIG EAST action on Saturday at Marquette.

Notes: Sorby finished the contest with six saves...Wimmer finished with eight...shots were nearly even though DePaul held a 19-15 advantage...there were six yellow cards in the match...DePaul received four bookings while Ohio State earned two.



Buy Tickets



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago



» «