DePaul Can't Overcome a Stormy Second Half
John Jandl scored his first collegiate goal in Saturday night's 4-2 BIG EAST loss at St. John's

Oct. 22, 2011

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

QUEENS, N.Y. - Try as they might, the Blue Demons couldn't shorten the game fast enough on Saturday night.

DePaul took a one-goal lead into the second half against No. 12/9 St. John's, only to see the home team storm back with three goals in a 4-2 Blue Demon BIG EAST Conference loss.

As for the BIG EAST playoff race, DePaul (5-9-2, 2-4-1) remains tied for fourth place with Villanova in the Red Division with seven points. Louisville is in sixth place with five points followed by Syracuse (four points) and Cincinnati (three points).

The top six teams qualify for the BIG EAST Championship tournament.

The Blue Demons came out strong with David Selvaggi getting fouled in the box just 2 minutes and 22 seconds into the match. The freshman from Elmhurst converted the penalty kick for his seventh goal of the season in giving his team a 1-0 lead.

"Tony (Antonio Aguilar) slipped it through to David who was brought down by the goalkeeper (Rafael Diaz)," said DePaul coach Craig Blazer. "Diaz was whistled for a foul, given a yellow card and got hurt on the play. He left the game and never returned.

"Selvaggi is having a very good freshman year. He had the guts to take that penalty kick on the road---and he buried it."

Pablo Battuto Punyed tied it up in the 25th minute on a 30-yard free kick.

In the 39th minute, John Jandl headed in the first goal of his collegiate career after a nice cross from Michael Stankiewicz.

"Off a short corner, we played it around," Blazer said. "Stankiewicz sent it back into the goal mouth and Jandl headed it in. John has been working hard, and it was well-deserved."

Whatever St. John's coach Dave Masur told his players at halftime, the Red Storm was a different team in the final 45 minutes.

St. John's (10-4-2, 4-3-0) outshot the Blue Demons 8-0 in the first 16 minutes and went on to score three times.

First came Ido Ligety's 25-yard shot in the 55th minute.

In the 66th minute, DePaul committed a foul in the box and Bjorn de Hoop turned the penalty kick into a 3-2 Red Storm lead.

In the 81st minute, Walter Hines added the insurance goal from 18 yards out inside the right post.

By that time, St John's had outshot DePaul 15-2 in the second half.

"We put a little scare into them, but you have to give St. John's credit," Blazer said. "We're disappointed we didn't pick up any points tonight, but you're not going to stop this team on their home field. The place was rocking.

"We played a very good 45 minutes coming off Wednesday's win at Cincinnati. But this was the best team we have played this year, and they deserve their national ranking."

The Blue Demons' quest to make the BIG EAST playoffs for the sixth year in a row continues on Wednesday with a noon showdown against Louisville at Wish Field.

NOTES: DePaul controls its own fate for the postseason... the Blue Demons go head-to-head with Louisville and Syracuse in their final two matches---and both teams are battling DePaul for a playoff berth... DePaul plays both matches at Wish Field... St. John's outshot DePaul 22-8 and had an 11-5 advantage in shots on goal... the Red Storm had a 9-2 advantage in corner kicks... Selvaggi had two shots, both on frame... Antonio Aguilar and David Leverentz each had two shots, one on goal... Jandl's only shot was right on target and Anthony Hunter had one shot... the goal was also Jandl's first collegiate points... Selvaggi, Aguilar, Jandl, Austin Toth and Jared Blincow played all 90 minutes.



Buy Tickets



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago



» «