Blue Demons Fall in Overtime in BIG EAST Opener

Box Score

CHICAGO – Playing in the first BIG EAST competition for DePaul University, the men’s soccer dropped a tough 4-3 decision on overtime to Georgetown on Friday.  The Blue Demons tied the match with just under six minutes left in regulation, but the Hoyas found the net for the sudden victory in the first overtime period.

The first 45 minutes featured the two teams feeling each other out as neither created many scoring opportunities.  Adam Hermsen’s header and a shot just over the crossbar by Jeff DeGroot were the best chances for DePaul in the opening 15 minutes.

Hermsen and DeGroot teamed up in the 25th minute to get the Blue Demons on the board first.  Hermsen found himself near the endline and fed a streaking DeGroot who fired a shot from point blank range past Georgetown keeper Andrew Keszler.  For DeGroot it was his second goal of the season.

DePaul (2-2-1, 0-1-0 BIG EAST) took the 1-0 advantage into halftime while holding a slim 6-5 advantage on shots.

The Hoyas came out quickly and scored the first of their three second-half goals at 46:29 when Ben Jefferson-Dow gathered the ball off a deflection and sent a laser to the upper corner for his first goal of the afternoon.

The Blue Demons answered as Luke Rojo scored off a free kick on a beautiful bender to the upper right corner.  Rojo lined up at the top of the box and sent it around the Georgetown defense and into the corner of the net at 48:09 for his second goal of the year.

Georgetown (4-1-0, 1-0-0 BIG EAST) tied the match and took the lead on back-to-back possessions.  Ricky Schramm took advantage on a long pass from Jeff Curtin at 66:09.  DePaul keeper Brian Visser hesitated and came to the top of the box where Schramm beat him to the ball and tied the match.  Following a DePaul foul, Jefferson-Dow scored his second goal of the game on a free kick with a hard shot to the upper left corner.

With time winding down in regulation, Julian Chille found a streaking Hermsen who tied the match at 84:02.  Hermsen’s header from eight yards on the left side came off the cross from Chille on the right sideline.

Schramm came up big again, this time with the game-winner, as he flipped the ball over a charging Visser at 95:48 for the Georgetown victory.

The loss for DePaul snaps a three-match unbeaten streak and is the first defeat for the Blue Demons in three matches at Wish Field this season.  DePaul takes on Seton Hall on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. as part of a doubleheader at Wish Field.  The women’s team hosts Central Michigan following the men’s match.




Buy Tickets



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago



» «