Blue Demons host No. 64 Purdue on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Jan. 20, 2012
CHICAGO – The No. 68 DePaul men’s tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season with its hard-fought, 5-2 win over Toledo on Friday at Lakeshore Sport and Fitness.
“The guys really competed well, and it was a good win for us tonight,” head coach Matt Brothers said after his team’s third straight win.
DePaul started the match by winning the doubles point. The Blue Demons dominated the first two courts, winning both, 8-2.
Moving into singles action, Mathias Hambach continued his powerful play and improved to 3-0 during the dual season. Playing in the fourth position, Hambach dominated Bryant Dudzik 6-2, 6-0 for DePaul’s second point.
Filip Dzanko won his fourth consecutive singles match when he overtook Leo Sarria in straight sets. Dzanko, who played in the second position, improves to 13-5 on the young season.
Adam Reinhart, who also increased his winning streak to six matches, clinched DePaul’s victory with a convincing 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Terence Weigand in the sixth spot.
With the match in hand, George Chanturia won DePaul’s final singles match in the top spot. The senior improves to 13-2 on the season.
“This match gave us some good momentum and confidence heading into our Purdue match on Sunday,” Brothers added in closing.
DePaul takes Saturday off before returning to Lakeshore Sport and Fitness for a clash with No. 64 Purdue. The match is the Blue Demons first ranked opponent of the season and is set to begin at 1 p.m.
No. 68 DePaul 5, Toledo 2
1. George Chanturia/Filip Dzanko def. Tomas Stillman/Leo Sarria, 8-2
2. Mathias Hambach/Sven Kasper def. Bryant Dudzik/Nicholas Wong, 8-2
3. Grant Adams/Garrett Cona def. Aaron Chaffee/Josh Dancu 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. George Chanturia def. Tomas Stillman, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
2. Filip Dzanko def. Leo Sarria 6-4, 6-1
3. Grant Adams def. Sven Kasper 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4. Mathias Hambach def. Bryant Dudzik 6-2, 6-0
5. Nicholas Wong def. Aaron Chaffee 6-4, 6-1
6. Adam Reinhart def. Terence Weigand 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6*, 5, 3, 1