Men's Tennis Cruises Past No. 61 Arizona
Filip Dzanko won his tenth singles match and fifth straight in the top spot on Friday
Feb. 10, 2012
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The DePaul men’s tennis team won its second straight with a decisive 6-1 neutral-court victory over No. 61 Arizona on Friday at Minnesota’s Baseline Tennis Center.
The Blue Demons used a balanced attack throughout the match – sweeping the doubles action and won five singles matches. Three of DePaul’s five singles victories came in straight sets, while Filip Dzanko won his 10th consecutive singles match.
DePaul (7-3) set the tone of the match early by winning all three doubles matches, and doing so in dominating fashion. George Chanturia and Dzanko improved to 6-3 in the top spot when the Blue Demon pair overpowered Sumeet Shinde and Kieren Thompson, 8-2. Matijia Palinic and Aaron Chaffee clinched DePaul’s point with their 8-3 victory on the third court.
Heading into singles, the Blue Demons had all the momentum and it showed as Chanturia, Sven Kasper and Mathias Hambach all won their matches in straight sets to clinch DePaul’s seventh victory.
Chanturia was the first off the courts with his 6-2, 6-0 win in the second position. The Blue Demon senior owns an 18-4 singles mark and has won his last three matches.
Kasper followed shortly thereafter with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph over Carlos Bermudez. Hambach clinched DePaul’s victory when he topped Sebastian Ionescu, 6-0, 6-3.
With the match in hand, Dzanko improved to 5-0 in the No. 1 singles position with his 6-2, 4-6, 14-12 over Andre Vidaller. The Blue Demon sophomore improves to 18-5 and is 9-0 in duals.
The Blue Demons are now 2-2 against ranked teams this season. DePaul also topped No. 66 Purdue, while it dropped duals to No. 67 Drake and No. 73 Harvard.
DePaul returns to the courts on Sunday and plays No. 34 Minnesota; the first serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
DePaul 6, No. 61 Arizona 1
1. Chanturia/Dzanko (DePaul) def. Shinde/Thompson (UA), 8-2
2. Hambach/Kasper (DePaul) def. Vidaller/Ionsecu (UA), 8-3
3. Palinic/Chaffee (DePaul) def. Urquidi/Bermudez (UA). 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Filip Dzanko (DePaul) def. Andre Vidaller (UA), 6-2, 4-6, 14-12
2. George Chanturia (DePaul) def. Sumeet Shinde (UA), 6-2, 6-0
3. Sven Kasper (DePaul) def. Carlos Bermudez (UA), 6-4, 6-2
4. Mathias Hambach (DePaul) def. Sebastian Ionescu (UA), 6-0, 6-3
5. Matija Palinic (DePaul) def. Mario Urquidi (UA), 4-6, 7-6 (3), 10-4
6. Kierin Thompson def. Josh Dancu 6-4, 3-6, 11-9
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6