Blue Demons close out Friday with a dual with No. 61 South Alabama
March 2, 2012
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas -- The No. 73 DePaul men’s tennis team suffered a 4-2 loss to No. 64 Oklahoma State in the opening round of the HEB Team Tournament on Friday at the HEB Tennis Center.
The Blue Demons (9-6) started the dual by taking the doubles point – winning on the second and third courts.
On the second court, Mathias Hambach and Sven Kasper topped Trevor Horstmann and Brandon Champagne 8-6. Matijia Palinc and Adam Reinhart teamed-up and overpowered Rifat Biktyakov and Adolfo Aires 8-4 which clinched a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
Oklahoma State (4-3) captured wins on the top four courts to claim the match.
Palinic registered DePaul’s lone win in singles. The Blue Demon senior, won his this third straight match when he defeated Champagne 6-2, 6-3 in the fifth position. The win was Palinic’s 10th of the season and he improves to 6-2 in the No. 5 spot.
DePaul closes out the day with a dual against South Alabama at Texas A&M Corpus Christi’s HEB Tennis Center.
#64 Oklahoma State 4, #73 DePaul 2
1. Eric West/Chris Haworth (OSU) def. George Chanturia/Filip Dzanko (DPU) 8-2
2. Mathias Hambach/Sven Kasper (DPU) def. Trevor Horstmann/Brandon Champagne (OSU) 8-6
3. Matija Palinic/Adam Reinhart (DPU) def. Rifat Biktyakov/Adolfo Aires (OSU) 8-4
1. Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) def. Filip Dzanko (DPU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Eric West (OSU) def. George Chanturia (DPU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Chris Haworth (OSU) def. Sven Kasper (DPU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Trevor Horstmann (OSU) def. Mathias Hambach (DPU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Matija Palinic (DPU) def. Brandon Champagne (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Adolfo Aires (OSU) vs. Adam Reinhart (DPU) 6-7, 6-4, unfinished