March 31, 2011
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Rain forced the No. 66 DePaul men’s tennis team’s match with Middle Tennessee State inside, but that did not slow down the Blue Demons who swept the Blue Raiders 7-0 on Thursday at Nashboro Village. The win snapped DePaul’s four-match skid and the Blue Demons improve to 12-7. Middle Tennessee State falls to 7-9.
DePaul won the doubles point behind strong performances in the first and third positions. Ben Hartman and Filip Dzanko took an 8-3 win from Matthew Langley and Dimitri Pippos. The win, was pair’s tenth of the season and the duo has won its last two matches.
Sven Kasper and Bartosz Jozwiak won their 20th match of the year with an 8-4 victory over Ben Davis and Shaun Waters. The Blue Demon duo improves to 9-7 in the top spot.
With a 1-0 advantage, DePaul sustained its momentum into singles action. Hartman, George Chanturia, Jozwiak and Dzanko all won their respective singles matches in two sets, while Sven Kasper and Matija Palinic needed three sets to complete the Blue Demon sweep.
Hartman was the first off the court in the sixth position with a dominating 6-4, 6-2 win on the fourth court. The senior has won his last three matches and improves to a team-best 18-10 on the year.
Chanturia was the next to complete his match and took a 7-6 (3), 6-4 win from Ben Davis in the second position.
Kasper clinched DePaul’s victory with his 16th singles win of the season. The sophomore improved to 11-8 in the top spot with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 triumph over Shaun Waters.
With the match in hand, Jozwiak won his 75th career singles match with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Pippos in the fifth position. The senior improves to 18-11 on the season and is 11-6 in duals.
The Blue Demons take Friday off before beginning the Sun Belt Shootout on Saturday. DePaul is the top seeded team in the tournament and squares off with eighth seeded Troy at 9 a.m.
No. 66 DePaul 7, Middle Tennessee 0
1. Seven Kasper/Bartosz Jozwiak (DPU) def. Ben Davis/Shaun Waters (MT) 8-4
2. Kyle Wishing/Elliot Barnwell (MT) def. George Chanturia/Matija Palinic (DPU) 8-3
3. Ben Hartman/Filip Dzanko (DPU) def. Matthew Langley/Dimitri Pippos (MT) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Seven Kasper (DPU) def. Shaun Waters (MT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2. George Chanturia (DPU) def. Ben Davis (MT) 7-6 (3), 6-4
3. Matija Palinic (DPU) def. Matthew Langley (MT) 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4
4. Ben Hartman (DPU) def. Elliot Barnwell (MT) 6-4, 6-2
5. Bartosz Jozwiak (DPU) def. Dimitri Pippos (MT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Filip Dzanko (DPU) def. Kyle Wishing (MT) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6