March 31, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – In a rain-shorten day, the DePaul men’s tennis team cruised into the semifinals of the Sun Belt Shootout with a dominant, 4-0 victory over Florida Atlantic on Saturday at Old Fort Park. The win halted a three-match losing streak for DePaul.
The Blue Demons (11-10) set the tone of the match in doubles --- winning on all three courts. Matija Palinic and Adam Reinhart improved to 7-1 on the season and were the first off the courts when they defeated Sean Bacha and Boris Bogomolov 8-5.
Mathias Hambach and Sven Kasper were the next to finish when the Blue Demon pair topped Robert Dubuque and Chris Janssen 8-6. George Chanturia and Filip Dzanko won their second straight with their 9-7 victory over Taylor Albrecht and Will Neuner on the top doubles court.
Heading into singles, DePaul’s number two, three and four players were able to carry the Blue Demons to victory – all in straight set wins.
Chanturia improved to 22-11 with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Chris Janssen on the second court. Kasper followed with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Will Neuner. Hambach clinched DePaul’s 11th win of the season when he topped Robert Dubuque 7-5, 6-2 on the fourth court.
The Blue Demons move indoors and will play South Alabama on Sunday in the semifinals at Middle Tennessee State’s Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
DePaul faced South Alabama on Mar.2 at the HEB Invitational. The Jaguars slipped past the Blue Demons 4-3 in Corpus Christi, Texas.
DePaul 4, Florida Atlantic 0
1. George Chanturia/Filip Dzanko def. Taylor Albrecht/Will Neuner 9-7
2. Mathias Hambach/Sven Kasper def. Robert Dubuque/Chris Janssen 8-6
3. Matija Palinic/Adam Reinhart def. Sean Bacha/Boris Bogomolov 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Filip Dzanko vs. Taylor Albrecht 6-7 (4), 0-2 - DNF
2. George Chanturia def. Chris Janssen 6-3, 6-2
3. Sven Kasper def. Will Neuner 6-2, 6-3
4. Mathias Hambach def. Robert Dubuque 7-5, 6-2
5. Matija Palinic vs. Garrett Betsarak - DNF
6. Josh Dancu vs. Boris Bogomolov - DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4