DePaul placed fourth at the Sun Belt Shootout.
April 1, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The DePaul men's tennis team finished the Sun Belt Shootout on Sunday at Middle Tennessee State's Buck Bouldin Tennis Center. The Blue Demons fell to No. 57 South Alabama, 4-2 in the semifinals and finished in fourth place after falling No. 71 Georgia State, 4-3 in the tournament finale.
The Blue Demons reached the semifinals after defeating Florida Atlantic on Saturday. Playing their 10th and 11th ranked teams of the season, DePaul battled in both duals but were unable to register a win.
In a rematch of an earlier dual this season with South Alabama, the two teams played singles first. USA jumped out to a 2-0 lead with wins on the fourth and third courts, before DePaul senior Matija Palinic defeated Blake Gregor on the fifth court.
Palinic battled back from a set down to win his 14th match of season -- 1-6, 6-1, 6-3. South Alabama would clinch the match with victories on second and sixth courts.
DePaul's sophomore sensation Filip Dzanko tallied his 27th singles win of the season with a three-set thriller over the Jaguars' Romain Bocaert -- 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
In the third place match, the Blue Demons and No. 71 Georgia State played out the match as the dual was knotted at three apiece after singles.
Singles played like a see-saw with the teams trading matches and the lead.
Georgia State took a 2-0 advantage before George Chanturia won his match on the second court 6-3, 6-3. Mathias Hambach followed and tied the dual at two all with a 7-5, 6-1 Juan Pablo Gutierrez on the fourth court.
GSU took a 3-2 advantage with a win in the number one position, before Sven Kasper prevailed in an epic three-set battle with Sofiane Chevallier. Kasper won his match on the third court, 7-5, 2-6, 6-3.
Needing doubles to decide the match, George State claimed victory with wins on the second and third courts.
DePaul (11-12) heads to Notre Dame for a 3 p.m. BIG EAST Conference dual with the Irish on April 4. The Blue Demons close out the regular season by hosting Marquette on April 14 at Lakeshore Sport and Fitness.
Sun Belt Shootout: Semifinals
#57 South Alabama 4, DePaul 2
1. Filip Dzanko (DPU) def. Romain Bocaert (USA) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Alex Bernard (USA) def. George Chanturia (DPU) 7-6 (5), 6-3
3. Daniel Leitner (USA) def. Sven Kasper (DPU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Cody Hall (USA) def. Mathias Hambach (DPU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Matija Palinic (DPU) def. Blake Gregor 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Dauw Kruger def. Josh Dancu (DPU) 6-0, 5-7, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, 1
Sun Belt Shootout: Third Place Match
#71 Georgia State 4, DePaul 3
1. Filip Dzanko/George Chanturia (DPU) vs. Matias Hatem/Thomas Cook (GSU) 7-5 DNF
2. Victor Valente/Juan Pablo Gutierrez (GSU) def. Mathias Hambach/Sven Kasper (DPU) 8-3
3. Sofiane Chevallier/Lucas Santana (GSU) def. Matija Palinic/Adam Reinhart (DPU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Victor Valente (GSU) def. Filip Dzanko (DPU) 6-2, 7-5
2. George Chanturia (DPU) def. Thomas Cook (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sven Kasper (DPU) def. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
4. Mathias Hambach (DPU) def. Juan Pablo Gutierrez (GSU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Ismael Lahlou (GSU) def. Matija Palinic (DPU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lucas Santana (GSU) def. Adam Reinhart (DPU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 2, 4, 1, 3