Blue Demons drop final match of the regular season, travel to Tampa for BIG EAST Championship
April 14, 2012
BlueTube - Highlights
CHICAGO - With a raucous DePaul crowd cheering for every point the 2012 edition of the DePaul/Marquette rivalry dual, lived-up to all its hype; but it was Marquette that would win the competitive dual. The Golden Eagles slipped past the Blue Demons 4-3 in the regular season finale for both teams.
DePaul's top doubles pair of George Chanturia and Filip Dzanko came out on fire and won their match 8-3 over Jonathan Schwerin and Dan Mamalat. The win, was the pair's tenth of the season while the duo has won its last two matches.
The Blue Demons (11-14) were unable to clinch the valuable doubles point as Marquette gritted out a pair of 9-8 (2) matches on the second and third courts.
Heading into singles, Marquette jumped out to a 2-0 advantage before Blue Demon seniors Chanturia and Matija Palinic evened the score with their respective wins. Chanturia tallied his 24th singles win of the year when he topped Vukasin Teofanovic 7-6 (5), 6-4. Palinic followed and defeated Cameron Tehrani, 6-3, 6-4.
Marquette (10-2) took a 3-2 advantage with a win on the sixth court before Dzanko finished off Mamalat in three, grueling sets. Mamalat won the first set (6-4), but the Blue Demon sophomore dug deep and took the final two sets 6-4, 6-4.
With one match still on the courts, the crowd and both teams gathered around the third court where DePaul's third senior - Sven Kasper and Marquette's Logon Collins were trading points. Logon won the hard-fought first set 7-5. Tied at three in second set, Kasper went up 5-4; but Logon won the last three games to clinch the win for the Golden Eagles.
DePaul heads to the BIG EAST Conference Championship, April 19-22 in Tampa, Fla. The Blue Demons will find out their first round opponent when the team rankings are determined by the league office on Monday.
Marquette 4, DePaul 3
1. George Chanturia/Filip Dzanko (DPU) def. Jonathan Schwerin/Dan Mamalat (MARQ) 8-3
2. Logon Collins/Cameron Tehrani (MARQ) def. Mathias Hambach/Sven Kasper (DPU) 9-8 (2)
3. Vukasin Teofanovic/Drake Kakar (MARQ) def. Matija Palinic/Adam Reinhart (DPU) 9-8 (2)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Filip Dzanko (DPU) def. Dan Mamalat (MARQ) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. George Chanturia (DPU) def. Vukasin Teofanovic (MARQ) 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Logon Collins (MARQ) def. Sven Kasper (DPU) 7-5, 7-5
4. Jonathan Schwerin (MARQ) def. Mathias Hambach (DPU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Matija Palinic (DPU) def. Cameron Tehrani (MARQ) 6-3, 6-4
6. Drake Kakar (MARQ) def. Adam Reinhart (DPU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5, 6, 1, 3