Blue Demons play Villanova on Saturday at 11 a.m. (CT)
April 20, 2012
BIG EAST Championship Central
TAMPA, Fla. - The fifth seeded DePaul men's tennis team dropped its opening round BIG EAST Conference Championship dual to No. 4 USF, 4-0 on Friday at the P.E. Courts. The Blue Demons fall into the consolation bracket and return to P.E. Courts for an 11 a.m. (CT) dual against eighth-seeded Villanova on Saturday.
Despite an 8-5 victory from Filip Dzanko and George Chanturia on the top doubles court, the Blue Demons were unable to record the valuable doubles point as the Bulls took the other two doubles matches. The win improved the DePaul duo to 11-10 on the year while the Blue Demon pair has won its last three matches.
Heading into singles, No. 4 USF (10-12) won three straight matches for the victory and a spot in the semifinals.
The Blue Demons and Wildcats are meeting for the first time since 2007. DePaul holds a 2-0 series advantage over Villanova and is 1-0 in BIG EAST Championship matches. The Blue Demons previously topped VU, 4-0 during the 2007 league tournament.
No. 4 USF def. No. 5 DePaul, 4-0
1. Filip Dzanko/George Chanturia def. Yannick Yoshizawa/ Oliver Pramming 8-5
2. Wael Kilani/ Federico Sabogal def. Mathias Hambach/Sven Kasper 8-6
3. Lucas Marin-Salcedo/ Guillermo De Vilchez def. Matija Palinic/Josh Dancu 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Wael Kilani def. Filip Dzanko 6-0, 6-1
2. Yannick Yoshizawa vs. George Chanturia 6-7 (4) DNF
3. Federico Sabogal def. Sven Kasper 6-0, 6-2
4. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF) def. Mathias Hambach (DPU) 6-2, 6-2*
5. Matija Palinic (DPU) vs. Ravi Patel (USF) 7-6 (5), 1-0 DNF
6. Oliver Pramming (USF) vs. Adam Reinhart 6-3, 2-5 DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4
*Clinched the dual