DePaul Knocks Off Villanova, 4-1, at BIG EAST Tournament
April 20, 2013
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - No. 7 DePaul men's tennis continued its strong play at the BIG EAST Men's Tennis Championship on Saturday, defeating sixth-seeded Villanova, 4-1, to advance to the fifth-place match on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. CT.
One day after nearly knocking off the tournament's No. 2 seed, DePaul (6-17) continued to get solid performances in both singles and doubles play, picking up the pairs point and another three singles matches.
The Blue Demons opened the match with a dominant win at third doubles from sophomore Adam Reinhart and freshman Paul John, 8-1. Following suit, the tandem of senior Mathias Hambach and freshman Jan-Willem Feilzer knocked off Matt Colonnese and Max Levine 8-5 to clinch a 1-0 lead in the match.
Villanova drew even with a win to start singles play, but DePaul quickly recovered to take the next three matches and seal the win.
At fourth singles, Feilzer was a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Max Levine to give DePaul the lead back. Finishing next, at the three, classmate Sten Leusink took his match with Ryan Peyton by a score of 6-2, 6-4.
The Blue Demons then clinched the match at fifth singles, 6-1, 6-3, as freshman Kyle Johnson knocked off Michael Rosengren.
DePaul will meet the winner of the St. John's/Georgetown tilt in the fifth-place match tomorrow.
DePaul 4, Villanova 1
1. Filip Dzanko (DEP) vs. Thomas O'Brien (VILL) 7-5, 3-3 DNF
2. Chris Seitz (VILL) def. Mathias Hambach (DEP) 6-4, 6-3
3. Sten Leusink (DEP) def. Ryan Peyton (VILL) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jan-Willem Feilzer (DEP) def. Max Levine (VILL) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kyle Johnson (DEP) def. Michael Rosengren (VILL) 6-1, 6-3
6. Paul John (DEP) vs. Tim Abbracciamento (VILL) 6-4, 3-3 DNF