Feb. 26, 2017
BIG EAST Tournament Bracket
CHICAGO - On Senior Day Sunday Jessica January did her best Russell Westbrook impersonation, posting her second career triple-double with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists to lead DePaul to a 79-70 win over Georgetown.
With the win, the Blue Demons (24-6, 16-2 BIG EAST) clinched their fourth consecutive BIG EAST regular-season championship and secured the No. 1 seed in next week's BIG EAST tournament. They will face the first-round winner of Seton Hall-Providence in Sunday's quarterfinals.
In addition to January's triple-double, Amarah Coleman and Jacqui Grant scored 17 and 14 points respectively. Brooke Schulte added 12.
DePaul led from the start, grabbing a 23-8 advantage. The Blue Demons kept it up offensively in the first quarter behind fast-moving passing, scoring 31 points to take a 16-point lead.
The Hoyas (17-11, 9-9 BIG EAST) narrowly outscored DePaul in the second quarter, cutting the deficit to 14. At the half, the Blue Demons led 48-34. Coleman finished the half with 14 points, on 6-of-7 shooting. January added 12 points on 4-of-5 shooting. DePaul shot an impressive 64.3% from the field in the first half, assisting on 16 made baskets.
Late in the third quarter, Georgetown made five baskets in a row to surge within eight at 61-53. DePaul went into the fourth quarter up 63-58 after the Hoyas outscored the host 24-15 in the third.
In the fourth, the Blue Demons regained control of the game, holding onto the lead handily as time expired.
For Georgetown, Faith Woodard led all game scorers 31 points along with 11 rebounds. Woodard made 13-of-16 free throws on the afternoon.
DePaul returns to action next Sunday in the BIG EAST quarterfinals in Milwaukee.
- January's triple-double (16 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists) was the second of her career (third in program history) and included a career high in rebounds.
- DePaul has won a BIG EAST regular-season title four consecutive years.
- Seniors Meri Bennett-Swanson, Grant, January and Schulte were honored after the game. They are the first senior class to win four regular-season BIG EAST titles since Connecticut in 2011.
- Bennett-Swanson made the first start of her career.
- Schulte has reached double figures the last 19 games and is averaging 20.6 points per game over that span.
- DePaul outrebounded Georgetown 38-37.
- Coach Doug Bruno was honored before the game for serving as an assistant coach on the USA women's basketball gold medal Olympics team last summer.
- The Blue Demons lead the all-time season series with Georgetown at 17-2 and are 9-1 at home.