No. 16/23 DePaul Hosts Providence on Wednesday
BIG EAST women's basketball tips at 7 p.m. in Lincoln Park
Jan. 3, 2011
| No. 16/23 DePaul (13-2, 1-0 BIG EAST) vs. Providence (7-6, 0-1 BIG EAST)
| Date & Time
|| Wednesday, Jan. 5 at 7 p.m. (CT)
|| McGrath Arena - 3,000 (Chicago, Ill.)
| Ticket Information
|| DePaul Ticket Office
| Online Video
| Online Audio
|| BlueTube - Drew Olson
| Twitter Updates
| Game Notes
DePaul | Providence
|| BIG EAST Home Opener | Jesse White Tumblers, Halftime
CHICAGO -- The No. 16/23 DePaul women's basketball resumes action on Wednesday when it hosts Providence in BIG EAST Conference action at McGrath Arena. The Blue Demons and Friars tip at 7 p.m. (CST) in Lincoln Park while the game is available on DePaul's BlueTube with Drew Olson calling the action courtside. His pregame show is scheduled to begin at 6:55 p.m.
GameTracker is available from www.depaulbluedemons.com while in-game scoring updates and notes can be followed as well at www.twitter.com/depaulwbbsid.
The Blue Demons (13-2, 1-0 BIG EAST) return to action after a 15-day layoff. DePaul was scheduled to play New Jersey Tech on Dec. 29, but that game was postponed until Jan. 20 due to heavy snow in the northeast which prohibited the Highlanders from air travel.
DePaul opened BIG EAST play at Pittsburgh with a 67-51 win over the Panthers on Dec. 7 and is one of seven teams ranked in this week's Associated Press Poll.
Led by Keisha Hampton's 16.8 points per game, the Blue Demons are averaging nearly 80 points per contest which ranks third in the league and 20th in the country. With a perfect 8-0 record in games played at McGrath Arena, DePaul is averaging 85.1 points on its home floor and has won its 10 home games dating back to the 2009-10 season.
Providence (7-6, 0-1 BIG EAST) enters Wednesday's contest on a mini two-game winning streak, while its last loss was in its BIG EAST opener at Notre Dame on Dec. 8. The Friars rank second in the BIG EAST with 46.8 rebounds, while Mi-Khida Hankins and Teya Wright both average over eight boards per game. Symone Roberts paces the offense with 12.9 points per outing.
The Blue Demons and Friars are meeting for the ninth time, while DePaul holds a 5-3 series advantage and has won five of the last six games. Providence won the 2010 meeting on its home court, 70-66 while DePaul has won all four games that have been played in Chicago.
The internationally known Jesse White Tumbling Team will be featured during Wednesday's halftime between the Blue Demons and Friars. In its 50th Year, the Jesse White Tumbling Team has thrilled audiences during halftimes of professional and collegiate sporting events as well as on Late Night with David Letterman, The Tonight Show starring Jay Leno, Good Morning America, The Jenny Jones Show, Disney Channel's Mickey Mouse Club and CBS' How'd They Do That.
Following Wednesday's game, the Blue Demons hit the road for a clash with No. 18/17 St. John's on Saturday, Jan. 8. The game which tips at 3 p.m. (CST) has been tabbed the BIG EAST Game of the Week and can be seen live in Chicago on Comcast Sports Net.
• Noting the Blue Demons: DePaul is 666-388 (.632) all-time... the 2010-11 campaign is the 37th season of women's basketball at DePaul University... since the start of the 2003-04 season (240 games), the Blue Demons have held 63.3 percent of their opponents to less than 70 points (152-of-240)... in that span, DePaul is 129-23 (.847) when holding opponents to less than 70 points... in that same time span, DePaul has scored 70 or more points in 164 games... DePaul is 142-22 (.866) when scoring 70 plus points... this season DePaul is 12-0 when it scores 70 or more points... in the last six seasons (210 games), the Blue Demons are 149-61 (.710)... in the last 61 home games against conference opponents, DePaul has posted 49 victories... over the last nine-plus seasons (333 games), DePaul has scored at least 80 points in 114 games... the Blue Demons hold a 109-5 (.956) record in those games... in the same span, DePaul is 46-1, including 44 straight wins, when scoring at least 90 points.
• Opponent 16 - Providence: The Friars enter Wednesday's game on a two-game winning streak.. closed out the nonconference portion of its schedule with wins over Oakland and Boston University on its home court... combined for a 2-4 record away from Alumni Hall/Mullaney Gymnasium this season... Symone Roberts and Mi-Khida both average double-figures... Roberts leads the Friars with 12.9 points per game which ranks 21st in the BIG EAST... Symone Roberts ranks second in the BIG EAST with 2.8 steals and a 2.8 assist to turnover ratio... Teya Wright and Hankins both average over 8.0 rebounds per game... Wright leads PC with 8.6 boards per game while her 4.8 offensive rebounds leads the league... Phil Seymore is in his six season at Providence and boasts a 69-93 record.
• The Series: DePaul and Providence are meeting for the ninth time since the series began in 1987... met every season since DePaul joined the BIG EAST Conference in 2005-06... last season, PC halted DePaul's five-game series winning streak with a 70-66 win in Providence... DePaul is 3-0 in games played in Lincoln Park and 2-0 in games played at McGrath Arena... last season, Felicia Chester and Sam Quigley led the Blue Demons with 17 points apiece, while Katherine Harry grabbed 12 rebounds... DePaul could not overcome a .359 FG percentage and shot a season-low .571 from the free throw line... Chelsea Marandola led PC with 22 points which included a 4-of-8 effort from behind the 3-point line.
• Looking back at Arizona State: DePaul's 10-game winning streak came to an end... both of DePaul's losses this season have come on the road... first loss was at Purdue on Nov. 21 -- exactly one month ago... DePaul tied a season-low with 12 assists... had nine assists in the first half and just three in the second... Felicia Chester paced DePaul with 16 points... first time this season Chester has led DePaul in scoring... Sam Quigley had four assists to lead DePaul... she has led DePaul in assists the last two games... had an assist in her last 76 games... With 11 points, Anna Martin surpassed the 500 career point mark... Martin now has 504 career points... China Threatt eclipsed the 600 point mark with seven points... she now has 601 career points... ASU is now 5-0 at home this season... improves to 82-16 at Wells Fargo since the 2004-05 season... Tenayna Watson and Dymond Simon become the first ASU players to score 20 or more points in a game this season... Won their last five games by 10 or more points... the series is now knotted at one game apiece... each team's win has come on its home court... DePaul is now 7-12 all-time against school's from the Pac-10.
• Looking ahead: Following DePaul's game against Providence, the Blue Demons next two games can be seen on television... DePaul's game at St. John's on Jan. 8 has been tabbed the BIG EAST Game of the Week and can be seen live on the BIG EAST Network... DePaul's game against USF will be broadcast on CBS College Sports on Jan. 11.
• Snow on the Eastcoast = Postponed: Due to severe weather in the Northeast DePaul's game that was scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 29 at McGrath Arena against New Jersey Institute of Technology has been postponed and rescheduled for Jan. 20, 2011... the Blue Demons and Highlanders will play a 7 p.m. nonconference game at McGrath Arena and all tickets purchased for the game's original date will be honored.
• Ranked Teams at McGrath Arena: DePaul is 7-12 all-time against Top 25 opponents at McGrath Arena since the 2000-01 season... this season, the Blue Demons topped then-No. 3/2 Stanford, 91-71... in games that DePaul has won over a ranked opponents the Blue Demons average margin of victory was 13.1 points... DePaul has lost just 21 games since McGrath Arena opened in 2000-01 of those 12 have come to ranked teams... five of those 11 losses were decided by three or less points... DePaul's game with Tennessee in 2003 went to overtime with the Blue Demons falling 96-89... narrowly fell to No. 1/1 Connecticut 81-80 during the 2007-08 season.
• It Could Happen: Coach Doug Bruno could win his 512th career coaching victory and 472nd at the collegiate level... Felicia Chester could play her 115th, Quigley could play her 114th... Quigley could start her 85th consecutive game while Keisha Hampton could start her 82nd... Quigley could have an assist in last 77 games... Taylor Pikes needs 18 points to eclipse the 300 career mark.
• Assist Machine: DePaul ranks fifth in the Nation and third in the BIG EAST with 19.9 assists per game... Notre Dame leads the nation with 20.3 (305 assists) and Boston College follows with 20.3 (264) assists per game, both Connecticut and Gonzaga average 20.2... dished out a season-best 28 assists at UIC and against UC Riverside... has recorded 20 or more assists in eight games this season... had an assist on 298 of its 441 baskets (67.6 percent)... 1.26 assist/turnover ratio ranks sixth in the nation and second in the BIG EAST behind Connecticut.
• Climbing in the Associated Press Poll: DePaul sits at No. 16 in this week's Associated Press Poll... DePaul has been ranked No. 16 twice this season... entered the Poll at No. 24 on Dec. 6... the Blue Demons have received votes in every poll this season... DePaul is one of seven BIG EAST School's ranked in the AP Poll... Connecticut is No. 2, West Virginia sits at No. 6, Notre Dame and Georgetown are 13 and 15, while St. John's is No. 18 and Syracuse is in at No. 23.
• Entering the USA Today/ESPN Poll: After receiving votes all season in the USA Today/ESPN Poll the Blue Demons entered the poll at No. 25 on Dec. 14... ranked No. 22 in the poll released on Dec. 28... DePaul is one of six BIG EAST teams in the top 25.
• Millennials: Sam Quigley and Keisha Hampton both reached the 1,000 career point mark during the week of Dec. 6... Quigley scored her 1,000th point with a season-best 17 point performance at Pittsburgh on Dec. 7...the senior point guard has 1,084 career points... Hampton reached the 1,000 mark by hitting the front end of a one-and-one against Northern Illinois on Dec. 11... Hampton has scored 1,052 points in 81 career games... the junior has reached double figures in 55 of her 81 games (67.9 percent)... Felicia Chester is on track to become DePaul's 26th 1,000 point scorer... the senior has 895 points.
• 70 is the Magic Number: DePaul has scored 70 or more points in 12 of its 13 wins this season... DePaul is 12-0 this season when scoring 70 or more points.
• BIG EAST Player of the Week: Keisha Hampton was named the BIG EAST Player of the Week on Dec. 20... she becomes the first DePaul player since the 2007-08 season to earn the weekly honor... a Blue Demon has been named Player of the Week seven times since DePaul joined the conference in 2005-06... Allie Quigley earned the honor three time, Khara Smith twice and Deirdre Naughton once... Hampton was named the league's Player of the Week after scoring 27 points in DePaul's win over No. 3/2 Stanford... Hampton also dished out a career-high six assists in DePaul's win over Northwestern.
• BIG EAST Scoring Drive: Keisha Hampton's 16.8 points per game leads DePaul and ties for the fourth highest scoring average in the BIG EAST... her scoring average ranks 68th in the nation... reached double-figures in 13 of DePaul's 15 games... scored 20 or more points in four games and had a career-best 30 against Illinois State on Dec. 1, 2010... led DePaul in scoring in eight games this season.
• Taking Advantage from Beyond the Arc: Since the start of the 2005-06 season (178 games), the club has knocked down 1196 (6.7 per game) trifectas compared to just 904 (5.1 per game) for the opposition... DePaul is averaging 7.3, 3-pointers per game this season which ranks No. 38 in the Nation and second in the BIG EAST... DePaul had a season-best 12, 3-pointers against UC Riverside on Nov. 27 and recorded 12 against Northwestern on Dec. 13... the 12, 3-pointers were the most by DePaul since it went 14-for-34 at Cincinnati on Mar. 2, 2009... 12, 3-pointers also tied a BIG EAST Conference single-game best this season... Villanova, Syracuse West Virginia, Louisville and Marquette have also tallied 12, 3-pointers in a game this season... with three 3-pointers against San Diego State at the NCAA Championship in San Diego, the team clinched the 10th straight year with at least 200 three-pointers... a 0-for-8 showing against Houston on Feb. 11, 2005, ended DePaul's streak with a three-pointer at 259 games... at the time, it was the nation's seventh-longest active streak... more recently, the Blue Demons 0-14 showing at Northern Illinois in 2009 ended a 144 game streak with a 3-pointer, while they were also 0-11 against Arkansas also in 2009... including the Houston, Northern Illinois and Arkansas games, the Blue Demons have tallied a three-pointer in 444 of the last 447 games... DePaul has made 200 or more 3-pointers in 10 of its last 11 seasons... the 2009-10 team tallied 163 to end DePaul's streak at 10 seasons.
• A 10-game streak: DePaul's 10-game winning streak came to an end at Arizona State on Dec. 21... during the streak which started on Nov. 23 at UIC and continued through DePaul's 91-71 win over then-No. 3/2 Stanford on Dec. 16... the Blue Demons have averaged 83.3 points per game, while holding its opponents to 58.6 points... average margin of victory is +24.7 points... DePaul scored 80 or more points in six games while its lowest scoring output was 67 points at BIG EAST Conference foe Pittsburgh... during the streak, Keisha Hampton (16.7), Sam Quigley (11.5) and Felicia Chester (11.5) all averaged double figures... DePaul outrebounded its opponents 39.8 to 34.0... Taylor Pikes (6.8), Katherine Harry (6.6) and Felicia Chester (6.2) are each averaged more than six rebounds per game... DePaul shot .500 (305-for-610) from the field while holding it opponents to just .359 (209-for-582)... the Blue Demons had an assist on 208 of its 305 field goals (68.2 percent) during the streak.
• Home Cookin': Through nine seasons, McGrath Arena - formerly known as the DePaul Athletic Center - has proven itself as one of the toughest venues in the nation. The Blue Demons have posted a 126-21 (.857) record in the arena's 147 games. DePaul's .848 winning percentage entering the 2009-10 season ranked ninth among all active arenas and 11th all-time.
In its 37th season of women's basketball at DePaul University, the Blue Demons have an all-time home court record of 390-105 (.788). Over 26 seasons at Alumni Hall, the women's basketball program won over 75 percent of its games with a 242-80 all-time record. At the Allstate Arena, the women's program has posted an all-time record of 22-4.
There have been 16 streaks of at least 10 straight home victories. The longest streak was a 33-game run that started on Dec. 19, 2003 with a 99-63 win over Alabama State and ended on Jan. 28, 2006 with an 84-75 defeat to #5/4 Connecticut. The Blue Demons' 11-game winning streak dating back to the 2006-07 season ended on Jan. 2, 2008 with the 102-68 loss to #3/3 Tennessee.
DePaul is currently on a 10-game streak which dates back to a 68-57 win over Pittsburgh on Feb. 23, 2010. The Blue Demons are 8-0 this season at home and recently knocked off No. 3/2 Stanford, 91-71 on Dec. 16, 2010. During DePaul's current 10-game winning streak the Blue Demons have an average margin of victory of 18.8 points per game.
Over the last seven-plus years at McGrath Arena, the team is 103-14 at home with five losses to teams ranked in the top five. DePaul lost in overtime to #2/2 Tennessee on Dec. 17, 2003, before the Connecticut loss in Jan. 2006. Tennessee, ranked third in both polls, served DePaul its fifth defeat before the 77-76 loss to #1/1 Connecticut on Mar. 1, 2008. Maybe more impressive is that the Blue Demons' average margin of victory during that span that 20.3 points per game.
The Blue Demons have also posted 101 victories in the last 104 games over unranked opponents. West Virginia ended DePaul's 58-game streak over unranked opponents with a 74-63 decision on Jan. 9, 2007 before Pittsburgh and Louisville handed the Blue Demons defeats in 2007-08. During the 58-game streak, there were 54 victories at McGrath Arena and four wins at the Allstate Arena.
• BIG EAST Weekly Honor - Quigley: Named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Dec. 13 after becoming DePaul's 24th 1,000 point scorer... season-best 17 points at Pittsburgh... has reached double-figures in her last four games and led DePaul in scoring twice (at Pittsburgh, 17 and vs. Northern Illinois, 13)... dished out a season-best nine assists at Pittsburgh... finished the week with 13 assists and six steals... went 10-for-11 from the free throw line against Northern Illinois... finished the week with an 11-for-13 effort at the Charity stripe... nine of Quigley's 11 Field Goals were 3-pointers... led DePaul with 14.0 points per game last week.
• BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll Twice: Keisha Hampton was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Nov. 22 and then again on Dec. 3... following DePaul's first four games Hampton led the Blue Demons with 17.8 points per game and a .895 (17-for-19) effort from the free throw line... Hampton's free throw with six second left against Florida sealed DePaul's victory... she was also named to the Preseason WNIT All-Tournament team... the second time Hampton was named to the honor roll she averaged 22.0 points per game and scored career-best 31 against Illinois State.
• "Three-Anna Ortiz": Junior guard Deanna Ortiz has been draining 3-pointers this season... of Ortiz's 27 field goals, 21 have been 3-pointers... her .467 percentage from behind the arc ranks second the BIG EAST Conference... she averages 1.4 trifectas per game this season.
• Lots and Lots of Games: Felicia Chester and Sam Quigley are both fifth you seniors... Chester has played in 114 career games and Quigley has appeared in 113... assistant director of basketball operation, Khara Smith played in a school-record 131 games in her career... if DePaul plays 33 games again this season (the Blue Demons played 33 in 2008-09 and in 2009-10) the pair is on track to break Smith's record.
• Raining 3s: Deirdre Naughton and Sam Quigley enter the 2010-11 season ranked in DePaul's top 13 for 3-point field goals and 3-point field goal attempts... Quigley currently has 149, 3-pointers on 439 attempts which ranks her ninth in 3-point field goals and seventh in attempts... Naughton has 126, 3-pointers on 380 attempts in a Blue Demon uniform which ranks her 13th in total 3-point field goals and 11th in attempts... Lenae Williams holds DePaul's record with 303 3-point field goals on 924 attempts.
• Dishing it Out: Sam currently has 415 career assists which ranks No. 4 on DePaul's all-time list... the younger Quigley needs to dish out 12 assists (427) to tie her sister, Allie Quigley (2004-08) for third all-time.
• BIG EAST Conference Preseason Picks: The Blue Demons were picked to finish sixth in the conference by the league's 16 coaches... defending National Champion Connecticut was picked to win the BIG EAST, while West Virginia, Georgetown, Notre Dame and St. John's were picked to finished ahead of DePaul... of the five teams picked to finish in front of DePaul, the Blue Demons host West Virginia (Jan. 30), Georgetown (Feb. 20) and Notre Dame (Feb. 28) at McGrath Arena... DePaul travels to St. John's (Jan. 8) and Connecticut (Feb. 5) for games this season.
• Preseason All-BIG EAST: Junior Keisha Hampton was named to the league's preseason team... she was also a preseason selection in 2009-10... Hampton is a two-time All-BIG EAST performer, earning All-Freshman honors in 2008-09 and second-team accolades as a sophomore... Sam Quigley and Deirdre Naughton were Preseason Honorable Mention picks... this is the first preseason league team selection for Quigley, while Naughton was selected prior to the 2009-10 and was an honorable mention pick prior to the 2008-09.
• Streaking: Dating back to last season and in some cases, the last couple of seasons, the Blue Demons have put together various streaks. Listed below are some current active streaks:
• 61 straight victories over unranked non-conference opponents at home
• 10-game winning streak at McGrath Arena which dates back to Feb. 23, 2010
• Nine consecutive wins over program's from the State of Illinois
• Eight consecutive NCAA Championship appearances
• Preseason Wade Watch Top 30: Senior guard Deirdre Naughton's name appears on 2010 Preaseason Wade Watch Top 30 list again this season... also made the preseason 2009-10 list... Naughton enters the 2010-11 season with 1,470 career points (1,051 at DePaul and 419 at Wake Forest), and a career .430 field goal percentage... in her two seasons at DePaul, Naughton has averaged 15.3 points per game while her 124, 3-point field goals rank 12th on DePaul's all-time list... Naughton is one of five BIG EAST Conference players to appear on the top 30 list.
• Naismith Preseason Watch List: Keisha Hampton became one of 50 Division I student-athletes to be named to the Naismith Watch List on Nov. 10... Hampton enters her junior season with 800 career points and has started every game since coming to Lincoln Park in 2008-09... Hampton is a preseason All-BIG EAST performer and earned All-Freshman honors in 2008-09 and was a second-team All-BIG EAST selection last season.
• Quigley with CLASS: On Nov. 3, 2010, Sam Quigley was named one of 30 NCAA Division I student-athletes to the Lowe's Senior CLASS Candidate list... one of the most prestigious awards for the all-around athlete, the Lowe's Senior CLASS Awards honors the student-athlete who excels not only on the floor but also the community, classroom and character.
• Coach Doug Bruno Court: Beginning in the 2010-11 season, the Blue Demons will play their home games at McGrath Arena on the Coach Doug Bruno Court... DePaul's Director of Athletics, Jean Lenti Ponsetto made the announcement on Nov. 16, 2009 and the court was formally dedicated on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010... the 2010-11 season marks Coach Bruno's 25th season at DePaul... Bruno currently has 471 collegiate wins and 40 wins as the head coach of the Chicago Hustle (WBL - Professional Team in Chicago)... Coach Bruno becomes just the fifth NCAA women's coach and just the third DI coach to have a court named in his honor... Bruno follows, Kay Yow from North Carolina State and Pat Summitt who has the court at Tennessee and Tennessee Martin named in her honor... Lin L. Laursen has "Larsen Court" at Central Arizona College (NJCAA) while there is the Pam Evans Smith Arena at Wittenberg University
• Coaching on the same side, coaching separately: DePaul head coach Doug Bruno and Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma's teamed up this summer to help the USA National Team win Gold at the FIBA World Championship in the Czech Republic on Oct. 3, 2010... Auriemma served as the team's head coach while Bruno was an assistant along with Jennifer Gillom of the WNBA Minnesota Lynx and Marynell Meadors of the Atlanta Dream.
• Lieberman Buzz List: Sam Quigley has been added to the Nancy Lieberman Award Buzz List... Quigley was a finalist for the Award in 2010... the senior point guard ranks third in the BIG EAST with 4.9 assists per game and has dished out five or more assists in eight games this season and 41 in her career... boasts a 1.9 assist to turnover ratio which ranks fourth in the BIG EAST.
• Marching Along: DePaul made its eighth consecutive and the program's 15th NCAA Championship appearance in 2010... the Blue Demons were one of seven BIG EAST programs in the field of 64... the conference led all leagues along with the SEC with teams earning bids... the program is 7-15 (.318) all-time in NCAA Championship play...DePaul is one of 13 teams to appear in each of the last eight tournaments... joining the Blue Demons on the list of 13 teams with eight straight NCAA's are Connecticut, Duke, Georgia, LSU, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Rutgers, Stanford, Tennessee and Vanderbilt... the eight straight appearances are a program record for consecutive NCAA's... DePaul earned four consecutive NCAA berths from 1990-93 followed by a three-year run from 1995-97... the program is 4-9 entering in its last eight tournament appearances, including a 2006 NCAA Regional Semifinal appearance in San Antonio, Texas.
• Against the State: DePaul has seen recent success against in-state opponents... over the last 69 games against Chicago State, Illinois, Illinois-Chicago, Illinois State, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Southern Illinois and Southern Illinois Edwardsville, the Blue Demons have posted 65 victories... DePaul's 36-game winning streak against programs from the state of Illinois came to an end when Northwestern defeated the Blue Demons 59-55 in Evanston on Nov. 24, 2009... prior to the loss at Northwestern, the last loss to a state program was on Dec. 4, 2002, when Illinois defeated the Blue Demons in Champaign by a 71-67 score... during the 61-game stretch, two losses were at Illinois with the last home loss to an in-state program was on Nov. 20, 1998, against Northwestern... the Wildcats defeated the Blue Demons at Alumni Hall by a score of 62-61 and then most recently at Welsh-Ryan Arena in 2009... DePaul plays at UIC, Loyola and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville while it hosts Northwestern and Northern Illinois this season... DePaul has won its last nine against school's from the state of Illinois.
• Regular Season Tournament History: DePaul is 76-27 (.738) all-time in regular season tournaments dating back to 1980-81 season... the Blue Demons have played in 46 regular-season tournaments and won 25... finished in second nine times... DePaul won the 2010 Maggie Dixon Classic and took second in the Preseason WNIT this season.