Nov. 19, 2011
HONOLULU – With less than 24 hours between games, the No. 18/18 DePaul women’s basketball team looks to rebound from its 82-74 loss to San Diego State on Saturday when it faces Portland State. The game is the second for the Blue Demons during the three-day tournament and tips at 4 p.m. (CST).
The Blue Demons and Portland are meeting for the first time on Saturday. DePaul (2-1) is looking for its first win of the tournament, while Portland picked up an 82-64 victory over host Hawaii on Friday.
Keisha Hampton leads DePaul with 21.0 points per game while the senior dropped in a season-high 27 points against San Diego State. The Philadelphia native now has 18, 20-plus point performances in her career and has reach double figures in all three games this season and in 75 of her 104 career games. Anna Martin (18.0) and Brittany Hrynko round out DePaul’s double-digit scorers this season.
Portland (2-1) is led by Natalie Day, who scored 19 points against Hawai’i, averages 21.0 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
Live Stats can be followed for all games at the Rainbow Wahine Classic.
• Noting the Blue Demons: DePaul is 684-394 (.635) all-time... the 2011-12 campaign is the 37th season of women’s basketball at DePaul University... since the start of the 2003-04 season (265 games), the Blue Demons have held 64.5 percent of their opponents to less than 70 points (171-of-265)... in that span, DePaul is 146-25 (.854) when holding opponents to less than 70 points... in that same time span, DePaul has scored 70 or more points in 176 games... DePaul is 153-23 (.869) when scoring 70 plus points... in the last six plus seasons (233 games), the Blue Demons are 166-67 (.712)... in the last 68 home games against conference opponents, DePaul has posted 57 victories... over the last ten plus seasons (356 games), DePaul has scored at least 80 points in 118 games... the Blue Demons hold a 113-5 (.958) record in those games... in the same span, DePaul is 48-1, including 46 straight wins, when scoring at least 90 points.
• Regular Season Tournament History: DePaul is 78-28 (.736) all-time in regular season tournaments dating back to 1980-81 season... the Blue Demons have played in 48 regular-season tournaments including the Jack in the Box Rainbow Wahine Classic… DePaul has won 25 regular season tournaments and finished in second place nine times… Earlier this season, DePaul won the Maggie Dixon Classic with wins over St. Mary’s and Samford.
• It Could Happen: Coach Doug Bruno could win his 529th career coaching victory and 489th at the collegiate level… Keisha Hampton could start her 105th consecutive game... with one 3-pointer it would run DePaul’s streak to 63 consecutive games with a 3-pointer.
• Streaking: Dating back to last season and in some cases, the last couple of seasons, the Blue Demons have put together various streaks. Listed below are some current active streaks:
• 65-straight victories over unranked non-conference opponents at home
• 62-games with at least one 3-pointer
• 21-game winning streak at McGrath-Phillips Arena --- dates back to Feb. 23, 2010
• Nine-consecutive wins over programs from the State of Illinois
• Nine-consecutive NCAA Championship appearances
• Taking Advantage from Beyond the Arc: Since the start of the 2005-06 season (202 games), the club has knocked down 1,371 (6.8 per game) trifectas compared to just 995 (4.9 per game) for the opposition... DePaul has knocked down at least one 3-pointer in its last 62 games and has tallied a three-pointer in 468 of the last 471 games… DePaul has made 200 or more 3-pointers in 11 of its last 12 seasons… the 2009-10 team tallied 163 to end DePaul’s streak at 10 seasons... in 2010-11 DePaul set a school record with 255 3-pointers.
• 16, 3-pointers: DePaul tied a school record with 16, 3-pointers against St. Mary’s in its season opener… DePaul also made 16 3-pointers at Seton Hall on Mar. 3, 2008… 16 3-pointers is a new McGrath-Phillips Arena record, the previous best was 15 against Northwestern State on Nov. 22, 2003.
• Hooping it up with Hampton: DePaul returns honorable mention Associated Press and State Farm/WBCA All-American Keisha Hampton. Hampton led the Blue Demons in scoring last season with 16.0 points per outing and knocked in 14.9 during conference place. A three-time All-BIG EAST selection, Hampton was a unanimous first-team selection as a senior. She also became the first Blue Demon to earn BIG EAST Championship All-Tournament team honors after averaging 20.5 points in DePaul’s two games in Hartford.
• World University Games: Hampton returned from the World University Games a gold medalist after helping the USA Women’s team go 6-0 in Shenzhen, China. Hampton played in all eight games averaging 4.2 points and 3.8 rebounds per contest. Hampton became the first women’s basketball player in DePaul history to make a USA Basketball roster.
• Consecutive Starts: Keisha Hampton is one of three Division I players to have started 100 or more consecutive games. Tennessee’s Shekinna Stricklen has started 106 straight and Hampton follows with 105. Miami senior Shenise Johnson is third on the list and has started 102 straight games.
• Preseason honors: Keisha Hampton’s senior season has been filled with a handful of preseason honors. The senior, who was an honorable mention Associated Press and State Farm/WBCA All-American last year, has been tabbed a unanimous preseason All-BIG EAST Conference selection and was named to the preseason Wooden and Wade Watch Lists.
• 26 and Counting: Coach Doug Bruno begins his 26th season at the helm of the Blue Demon women’s program. Bruno has tallied 489 collegiate wins at DePaul and has 529 in his 27 seasons of coaching women’s collegiate and professional basketball.
• On Track for 1,000: Anna Martin is on track to become DePaul’s 27th 1,000 point scorer. The junior has 789 career points… she is averaging 18.0 points this season while she her career average stands at 11.0 since arriving in Lincoln Park in 2009… reached double digits in 43 of her 72 games (60%).
• Climbing in the record book: Keisha Hampton became DePaul’s 24th 1,000 point scorer in 2010-11..this season, Hampton has scored 63 points for 1,438 points in her career which ranks 13th in DePaul’s record book… needs 114 points to tie DePaul Athletics Hall of Famer, Melanee Ehrhardt (1086-90) who scored 1,552 points in her career…Diana Vines (1985-89) holds DePaul’s school record with 2,504 career points.
• Get that out of here: Katherine Harry has 98 career blocks which ranks sixth on DePaul’s All-Time list… needs 19 blocks to tie Dianna Vines for fifth… during her career, Harry has averaged 1.36 blocks per game and has a career-best five blocks against Valparaiso on Nov. 12, 2010… tallied three or more blocks in 12 career games.
• New Faces: DePaul welcomes Chanise Jenkins, Alexa Gallagher, Brittany Hrynko, Megan Rogowski, Karima Gabriel while sophomore transfer Kelsey Reynolds is available for action after sitting out last season due to the NCAA transfer guidelines.