Jan. 21, 2012
CHICAGO - The DePaul women's tennis team started the home portion of its schedule in dominating fashion - sweeping Cleveland State and Chicago State on Saturday at Lakeshore Sport and Fitness.
"Today was a very nice start to our home season," head coach Mark Ardizzone said. "Getting two 7-0 victories in convincing fashion is always great! We still need to improve our doubles play and we will focus on that this week at practice."
On the day, the Blue Demons (2-1) did not drop a set in singles while in eight sets; DePaul won 6-0. The Blue Demons dominated the pace of the matches with their aggressive style.
The Blue Demons started their day with a convincing 7-0 triumph over Cleveland State. DePaul swept the doubles matches with Gia McKnight and Jasmin Kling starting off the day with an 8-3 victory. Patricia Fargas and Rebeca Mitrea clinched the doubles point with their 8-4 in the number two position.
DePaul carried its momentum into singles action with six straight-set wins. Mitrea pushed her singles winning streak to six matches with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Nicole Janek.
Against Chicago State, the Blue Demons continued to hit their stride sweeping one doubles match while three singles matches were won with 6-0, 6-0 scores.
Cali Gustafson and Lawson teamed-up for an 8-0 victory in the No. 2 doubles spot. Kling and McKnight tallied their second doubles win of the day with an 8-6 triumph on the top court.
In singles, Lawson, Neumann, and Gustafson all won their respective singles matches 6-0, 6-0.
The Blue Demons return to the courts in Indiana next weekend. DePaul plays at IPFW on Jan. 28 and visits Butler on Jan. 29.
DePaul 7, Cleveland State 0
1. McKnight/Kling def. Lazaris/Bjerrehus 8:3
2. Fargas/Mitrea def. Power/Bush 8:4
3. Neumann/Gustafson def. Sherwood/Janek 8:4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Jasmin Kling def. Maria Lazaris, 6-3, 6-1
2. Patricia Fargas def. Catrine Bjerrehus, 7-5, 6-1
3. Gia McKnight def. Kara Sherwood, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kelsey Lawson def. Alex Power, 6-1, 6-2
5. Rebeca Mitrea def. Nicole Janek, 6-1, 6-3
6. Carolin Neumann def. Alexandra Bush, 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3, 5, 2, 1
DePaul 7, Chicago State 0
1. Kling/McKnight def. Emeralda/Tejoprayitno, 8-6
2. Lawson/Gustafson def. Townsell/Grinvalde 8-0
3. DePaul won, Chicago State did not have a team
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. Patricia Fargas def. Juan Rosalina Tejoprayitno, 6-1, 6-0
2. Gia McKnight def. Karyn Emeralda, 6-1, 6-2
3. Kelsey Lawson def. Ruta Grinvalde, 6-0, 6-0
4. Carolin Neumann def. Mysta Townsell, 6-0, 6-0
5. Cali Gustafson def. Mia Townsell, 6-0, 6-0
6. DePaul won, Chicago State did not have a player
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 1, 2