Feb. 10, 2012
MADISON, Wis. -- The DePaul women’s tennis team registered its sixth straight win with an impressive 5-2 victory over Wisconsin on Friday at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
"We needed to be competitive for the start because Wisconsin is real talented and deep team. They really gave us all they had,” head coach Mark Ardizzone said after the Blue Demons win.
“It was just a really good college match and I am really proud of our team tonight. Carolin (Neumann) and Patricia (Fargas), both battled with the dual on the line."
DePaul (7-1) won the doubles point and then captured the match with wins on the first, fifth, second and sixth singles courts. The Blue Demons are now 78-49 in singles action this season.
The Blue Demons handed the Badgers their first doubles losses of the season with victories on the second and third courts. Jasmin Kling and Gia McKnight made quick work of Nicky Stracar and Nova Patel with their 8-2 victory on the second court. Kelsey Lawson and Cali Gustafson followed and clinched the doubles point with their 8-3 win on the third court.
Heading into singles, Kling dominated the top spot and improved to 4-3 in duals with her 6-3, 6-3 win over Hanna Berner. Lawson followed suit and gave DePaul a 3-0 advantage with her straight-set victory on the fifth court.
Wisconsin (4-1) pulled within one with wins on the fourth and third courts, but the Blue Demons dug deep and finished off the Badgers in the deciding sets on both the second and sixth courts.
Patricia Fargas clinched DePaul’s win and bounced back from a 7-5 first set loss to defeat Alaina Trgovic 6-0, 6-2 in the final two sets on the second court. The Blue Demon freshman improves to 6-1 in duals while she is 4-0 in the No. 2 spot.
With the match in hand, Neumann finished off Aleksandra Markovic 7-5, 7-5 in the final two sets.
DePaul returns to the courts on Saturday and plays a neutral court dual with No. 37 N.C. State at 11 a.m. at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
DePaul 5, Wisconsin, 2
1. Hannah Berner/Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Rebeca Mitrea/Patricia Fargas (DePaul), 8-5
2. Jasmin Kling/Gia McKnight (DePaul) def. Nicky Stracar/Nova Patel (UW), 8-2
3. Kelsey Lawson/Cali Gustafson (DePaul) def. Angela Chupa/Aleksandra Markovic (UW), 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Jasmin Kling (DePaul) def. Hannah Berner (UW), 6-3, 6-3
2. Patricia Fargas (DePaul) def. Alaina Trgovich (UW), 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
3. Nicky Stracar (UW) def. Gia McKnight (DePaul), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Nova Patel (UW) def. Rebeca Mitrea (DePaul), 6-1, 6-4
5. Kelsey Lawson (DePaul) def. Angela Chupa (UW), 6-3, 6-2
6. Carolin Neumann (DePaul) def. Aleksandra Markovic (UW), 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 4, 3, 2, 6