Feb. 17, 2012
KALAMAZZO, Mich. – The No. 71 DePaul women’s tennis team extended its winning streak to eight matches with its 5-2 win at Western Michigan on Friday at the West Hills Athletic Club.
Along with the Blue Demons eight-match winning streak, Patricia Fargas and Kelsey Lawson also extended their respective singles winning streaks to eight matches.
Fargas was the first off the singles courts with her dominating 6-2, 6-2 victory over Maggie Remynse in the second position. The win improved Fargas 6-0 in the No. 2 spot while the Blue Demon freshman owes a team-best 18-8 record in singles.
Lawson’s eighth consecutive win, clinched the Blue Demons’ victory. Lawson’s win followed Jasmin Kling’s victory on the top court. Lawson’s 15th win of the season was a two-set thriller over Rachel Denny, 7-6, 6-3.
With the match in hand, the remaining three courts needed a third set to settle the final score. Gia McKnight won her match in the third position 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7). Western Michigan (5-4) won the remaining singles matches on the fifth and sixth courts.
DePaul started the dual by winning the doubles point with wins on the first and third courts. McKnight and Kling improved to 8-4 in doubles with their 8-3 victory on the No. 1 doubles court. Cali Gustafson and Lawson clinched the doubles point and won their sixth straight with a hard-fought 9-7 win on the third court.
The Blue Demons (8-1) return to action on Sunday at Indiana. The Hoosiers had their seven-match winning streak come to an end on Friday when they lost to No. 10 Tennessee, 5-2.
No. 71 DePaul 5, Western Michigan 2
1. Gia McKnight/Jasmin King (DPU) def.Nini Sujashvili/Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 8-3
2. Caroline Aleck/April Kerr (WMU) def. Patricia Fargas/Rebeca Mitrea (DPU) 8-4
3. Kelsey Lawson/Cali Gustafson (DPU) def. Maria Nivia/Maggie Remynse (WMU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 105 Jasmin Kling (DPU) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Patricia Fargas (DPU) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Gia McKnight (DPU) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Kelsey Lawson (DPU) def. Rachel Denny (WMU) 7-6, 6-3
5. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Rebeca Mitrea (DPU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Carolin Neumann (DPU) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6