DePaul takes on top-seed Notre Dame on Saturday at 8 a.m. (CT)
April 20, 2012
BIG EAST Championship Central
TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 70 DePaul women’s tennis team defeated Georgetown, 4-3 in the quarterfinals of the BIG EAST Championship at the Varsity Courts on Friday. The fourth-seeded Blue Demons move into the semifinals for the fourth consecutive year and face top-seeded Notre Dame on Saturday at 8 a.m. (CT) on the Varsity Courts.
DePaul (15-7) secured the valuable and what turned out to be the difference maker in the highly contested dual. The Blue Demons’ top doubles team of No. 80 Gia McKnight and Jasmin Kling started the match off by overpowering Lauren Greco and Kelly Comolli, 8-2.
No. 5 Georgetown (16-6) followed and knotted the doubles point at one all with its win on the second court.
With the teams watching the final game play-out on the third court, DePaul’s Carolin Neumann and Cali Gustafson topped Sophie Panarese and Madelin Jaeger, 8-3 which secured the all-important doubles point.
Heading into singles, Georgetown tied the match at one with a win on the third court, before Neumann won her 19th match of season. The Blue Demon freshman topped Jaeger 6-2, 7-5 to give the Blue Demons a slight scoring edge.
Kelsey Lawson followed with a straight-set (6-3, 6-4) victory over Kelly Comolli on the fourth court which left the Blue Demons looking for one more win for their sixth consecutive trip to the conference semifinals.
DePaul would wait until No. 106 Kling finished off Greco in the third set to secure the win. The win was Kling’s 15th of the season, while the freshman improved to 11-6 on the top court.
The Blue Demons and Notre Dame met earlier this season and the Irish defeated the Blue Demons 7-0 in Indiana. Saturday’s dual marks the 10th meeting between the two teams in the last seven years while the Irish have won all 10 including four at the conference championship.
No. 4 DePaul 4, No. 5 Georgetown 3
1. #80 Jasmin Kling/Gia McKight (DPU) def. Lauren Greco/Kelly Comolli (GU) 8-2
2. Tina Tehrani/Victoria Sekely (GU) def. Patricia Fargas/Kelsey Lawson (DPU) 8-2
3. Cali Gustafson/Carolin Neumann (DPU) def. Sophie Panarese/Madelin Jaeger (GU) 8-3*
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #106 Jasmin Kling (DPU) def. Lauren Greco (GU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2*
2. Tina Tehrani (GU) def. Patricia Fargas (DPU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Victoria Sekely (GU) def. Gia McKnight (DPU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kelsey Lawson (DPU) def. Kelly Comolli (GU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Carolin Neumann (DPU) def. Madelin Jaeger (GU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Sophie Panarese (GU) def. Rebeca Mitrea (DPU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 2, 6, 1*
*Clinched the dual