April 21, 2012
BIG EAST Championship Central
TAMPA, Fla. – Playing in the semifinals for the fourth consecutive year, fourth-seeded DePaul fell to top-seeded Notre Dame 4-0 on Saturday at USF’s Varsity Courts. The Blue Demons return to the courts at 11 a.m. (CT) and play the sixth seed in Louisville on Sunday for third place at the BIG EAST Championship.
DePaul (15-8) came out with everything it had in doubles, but the experienced Irish won out. Jennifer Kellner and Chrissie McGaffigan opened doubles with an 8-0 victory over the Blue Demon pair of Cali Gustafson and Carolin Neumann on the third court. Needing to win the other two matches, DePaul’s top two pairs gave Notre Dame’s ranked pair everything they had in their respective arsenals.
Playing on the top doubles position, the two ranked team traded points and serves, but Notre Dame’s No. 6 pair of Kristy Frilling and Shannon Mathews topped Jasmin Kling and Gia McKnight 8-5 to claim the doubles points.
With the point already clinched, DePaul’s Patricia Fargas and Kelsey Lawson’s doubles match with No. 63 Julie Sabacinski and Britney Sanders was cut short with the Irish pair holding a slight 8-7 advantage.
Heading into singles, Notre Dame (18-7) claimed the match with wins on the third, sixth and second courts.
With the match over, Lawson was up a set on Kellner on the fourth court while Neumann and McGaffigan were headed into a third set on the fifth court.
DePaul faces Louisville for the sixth time since 2006 while it will be the fourth BIG EAST Conference Championship meeting between the two programs. In 2010, the Blue Demons topped Louisville 4-0 in the quarterfinals and are 2-2 all-time against the Cardinals at the BIG EAST Championship.
No. 1 Notre Dame 4, No.4 DePaul 0
1. #6 Kristy Frilling/Shannon Mathews (ND) def. #80 Jasmin Kling/Gia McKnight (DPU) 8-5*
2. #63 Julie Sabacinski/Britney Sanders (ND) vs. Patricia Fargas/Kelsey Lawson (DPU) 8-7 DNF
3. Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Cali Gustafson/Carolin Neumann (DPU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. #32 Shannon Mathews (ND) vs. #106 Jasmin Kling (DPU) 6-3, 2-2 DNF
2. #113 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Patricia Fargas (DPU) 6-1, 6-1*
3. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Gia McKnight (DPU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kelsey Lawson (DPU) vs. Jennifer Kellner (ND) 7-6 (5), 1-2 DNF
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) vs. Carolin Neumann (DPU) 4-6, 6-0 DNF
6. Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Cali Gustafson (DPU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2*
National Rankings: Notre Dame - #17, DePaul - #70