DePaul Spilts A Pair Of Matches
CHICAGO - After starting the weekend off with a win against Bowling Green, the Blue Demons went on to drop a decision to Western Michigan 2-5 before bouncing back to win convincingly over Ball State 6-1.
Against the Broncos, the Blue Demons were swept in doubles with ease (8-1, 8-1, 8-3. But the singles action would not come as easily for Western Michigan.
After dropping the No. 1 match, DePaul answered back when Marina Parashkevova beat Melanie Peters in the second match 6-3, 6-3.
The third match in singles came to Western Michigan's Valeria Stoilova as she beat Brenda Leung 6-3, 6-4.
Once again, DePaul countered with a win as Natalie Matko beat Malena Remynse in the No. 4 spot.
Western Michigan ended the back-and-forth action by collecting the last two singles matches and the win.
On Sunday, the Blue Demons captured a team win against Ball State with much ease. The double point was won after Szilvia Kelemen and Parashkevova beat their opponents 8-2 followed by a win by Matko and Leung 9-7 in the No. 2 match.
DePaul nearly swept the singles matches, dropping just the No. 6 match.
The Blue Demons are now 7-6 and play next weekend against Cincinnati and Memphis.
Western Michigan 5, DePaul 2
1. Frederika Girsang (WMU) def. Szilvia Kelemen (DU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Marina Parashkevova (DU) def. Melanie Peters (WMU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Valeria Stoilova (WMU) def. Brenda Leung (DU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Natalie Matko (DU) def. Malena Remynse (WMU) 7-6 (5), 6-4
5. Rattiya Hiranrat (WMU) def. Karen Falduto (DU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Reedhina Parekh (WMU) def. Rachel Dybas (DU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Girsang/Peters (WMU) def. Kelemen/Parashkevova (DU) 8-1
2. Hiranrat/Stoilova (WMU) def. Matko/Leung (DU) 8-1
3. Parekh/Remynse (WMU) def. Dybas/Megan Stewart (DU) 8-3