Women's Tennis Stays Perfect in BIG EAST Play
MORGANTOWN, W. Va.– DePaul’s women’s tennis team ran its winning streak to seven and stayed perfect in BIG EAST Conference action with a pair of league victories over the weekend.
DePaul, which is currently ranked 54th in the nation, improved to 12-4 overall and 3-0 in BIG EAST play by beating West Virginia on Friday and St. John’s on Saturday by identical 6-1 scores.
DePaul opened the weekend by taking the doubles point when Dunja Antunovic and Bojana Murisic won a tie-breaker at No. 2. The Blue Demons rolled through the singles action, taking five of the six matches.
“In the West Virginia match we didn't play great in the doubles but our second team really came through in the clutch,” DePaul head coach Mark Ardizzone said. “The top three continued to play great in singles while Anja and Petra bounced back in singles after struggling in the doubles.”
The St. John’s match opened with DePaul taking two of the three doubles matches and rolling to victory in five of the six singles tilts.
“The St. John’s match was great college tennis,” Ardizzone said. “It was a lot closer than the final score. We saved some match points in doubles for the second straight day. St. John’s really deserves a lot of credit, they battled us for every point. We competed very hard on a stressful weekend before finals. We are really looking forward to starting and growing some Big East rivalries in the next few years.”
#54 DePaul 6 West Virginia 1
at Morgantown, W. Va.
1. Csordas/Ganeva (D) def. Theis/Percival (WV) 8-3
2. Antunovic/Murisic (D) def. Speaker/Prinz (WV) 9-8 (4)
3. Koontz/Constantine (WV) def. Mihaldinec/Rehusova 8-4
1. Beatrix Csordas (D) def. Monica Lyskawa (WV) 6-2,6-4
2. Gergana Ganeva (D) def. Stacey Percival (WV) 6-4,6-2
3. Dunja Antunovic (D) def. Natalia Prinz (WV) 6-2,6-2
4. Coleen Speaker (WV) def. Bojana Murisic (D) 6-4,6-2
5. Anja Mihaldinec (D) def. Kelly Walsh (WV) 6-0,6-3
6. Petra Rehusova (D) def. Raynie Theis (WV) 6-4,5-7,1-0 (9)
#54 DePaul 6 Saint Johns 1
at Morgantown, W. Va.
1. Csordas/Ganeva (DU) def. Tumsevica/Adamski (SJ) 9-8
2. Antunovic/Mihaldinec (DU) def. Blahutiakova/Charchua (SJ) 8-4
3. Lorenzetti/Gasuviatte (SJ) def. Rehusova/Murisic (SJ) 9-8
1. Beatrix Csordas (DU) def. Nataly Tumsevica (SJ) 2-6,6-1,7-6(4)
2. Gergana Ganeva (DU) def. Mariana Chachua (SJ) 6-4,6-2
3. Dunja Antunovic (DU) def. Barbara Blahutiakova (SJ) 6-4,6-2
4. Lauren Lorenzetti (SJ) def. Bojana Murisic (DU) 6-4,6-1
5. Anja Mihaldinec (DU) def. Alison Adamski (SJ) 1-6,6-4,1-0 (3)
6. Petra Rehusova (DU) def. Gabija Gasuviatte (SJ) 6-3,6-1