Women's Tennis Splits Weekend Action
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – DePaul split a pair of BIG EAST Conference women’s tennis duals over the weekend, losing to second-ranked Notre Dame 7-0 on Friday before bouncing back to shut-out Marquette 7-0 on Saturday.
Highlighting the match on Friday was DePaul’s Beatrix Csordas and Gergana Ganeva posting a doubles victory at No. 1 over the nation’s fourth-ranked tandem.
“Notre Dame really proved to us why they are the number 2 team in the country,” DePaul head coach Mark Ardizzone said. “You really have to earn every point against them and we came away very impressed. Gergana and Bea's win in doubles is the highest ranked win in the history of DePaul Tennis.”
DePaul bounced right back on Saturday, sweeping through Marquette 7-0 without dropping a match.
“We bounced back very well after the tough loss to Notre Dame,” Ardizzone said. “Dunja and Anja really dominated their opponents in singles while Bea and Gergana continue to impress (moving to 18-3 on the season) in doubles.”
#2 Notre Dame 7, DePaul 0
No. 1: Csordas/Ganeva (D) def. #4 Thompson/Thompson (ND) 8-4
No. 2: #39 Buck/Tefft (ND) def. Antunovic/Mihaldinec (D) 8-2
No. 3: Potts/Stastny (ND) def. Murisic/Rehusova (D) 8-3
No. 1: #26 Catrina Thompson (ND) def. Beatrix Csordas (D) 6-0, 6-0
No. 2: #73 Christian Thompson (ND) def. Gergana Ganeva (D) 6-4, 6-1
No. 3: Brook Buck (ND) def. Dunja Antunovic (D) 6-2, 6-1
No. 4: Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Anja Mihaldinec (D) 6-1, 6-2
No. 5: Kristina Stastny (ND) def. Bojana Murisic (D) 6-3, 6-2
No. 6: Katie Potts (ND) def. Petra Rehusova (D) 6-1, 6-0
DePaul 7 Marquette 0
1. Csordas/Ganeva (D) def. Calbeto/Little (M) 8-4
2. Antunovic/Mihaldinec (D) def. Watkins/Bonnelly (M) 8-2
3. Rehusova/Murisic (D) def. Metzler/Dabrowski (M) 8-1
1. Beatrix Csordas (D) def. Maria Calbeto (M) 6-1,6-3
2. Gergana Ganeva (D) def. Lauren Little (M) 6-2,4-0 ret.
3. Dunja Antunovic (D) def. Erin Watins (M) 6-0,6-0
4. Anja Mihaldinec (D) def. Dominika Dabrowski (M) 6-0,6-0
5. Bojana Murisic (D) def. Francis Bonnelly (M) 7-6,6-4
6. Petra Rehusova (D) def. Robin Metzler (M) 7-5,7-5